Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 289 started fine before I installed Pertronix Igniter and Flame Thrower. The install was simple enough but no spark? How do I know if I got a bad igniter?

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Let's see a picture or four of the install (how you installed it in the distributor) and maybe some of us will see something wrong.

When you try to start the car, does anything happen at all? If there is no sound (no click, no engine trying to turn over, etc.) then the Pertronix is not your problem.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
IIRC, someone on the forums just had this exact same issue after install of a pertronix dizzy and other items with the motor not starting. They went through a bunch of different things trying everything from the replacing the starter to the alternator and it ended up being a faulty ignition coil. I'd start with that if I were you.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Put your points back in.
Tried it on my 6 cylinder and it just never worked. Put the points back in and fires everytime...not sure if I had something bad on the Pertronix but finally said I'll just stay points. I know some swear by Pertronix though.

Allen

P

·
0 Posts
IIRC, someone on the forums just had this exact same issue after install of a pertronix dizzy and other items with the motor not starting. They went through a bunch of different things trying everything from the replacing the starter to the alternator and it ended up being a faulty ignition coil. I'd start with that if I were you.
This makes absolutely no logical sense. . . wow

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let's see a picture or four of the install (how you installed it in the distributor) and maybe some of us will see something wrong.

When you try to start the car, does anything happen at all? If there is no sound (no click, no engine trying to turn over, etc.) then the Pertronix is not your problem.
I posted pics in a separate reply. When I turn the key it cranks. I pulled a plug to check for spark and I have none. Again, it fired right up before the Pertronix install.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Hmm, yep, looks all good to me.

So your issue has to be somewhere in the coil/Pertronix area. To eliminate the coil, I'd check for spark at the distributor cap from the wire leading from the coil to the distributor. If you've got good spark off the coil and have verified that the cap is on correctly with each wire hooked to the right cylinder (and the rotor pointing to the correct cylinder when it's supposed to be), then the Pertronix is the culprit. Easy to test if you can remove it, reinstall the points, and fire the car right up :)

Personally, I'm a fan of the Pertronix units, but they are not failure-proof and build quality seems to have suffered some in recent years. My old unit, which was installed sometime around the time I was born, worked perfectly for decades until I fried it one day by leaving the key on for 24 hours. When installing a new unit, I ran into one that was bad in a batch of 3 (of the two good ones, one went in my car and the other went in the glovebox). I've also had a Pertronix III distributor go bad on me within 10 miles of driving after installation. Nothing is guaranteed 100% functional out of the box these days, unfortunately (even points).

Reactions: geno_g

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,712 Posts
If memory serves me right, there's a little plastic plate that used for spacing the pertronix from the rotor. It looks like the unit is too close to the rotor but I have absolutely no idea if 1/8th of an inch (or less) will make any difference at all.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The spacing is critical as the timing is 100% dependent on the spacing.
Too close and it will fire too soon and too far.......well.......you know....... :wink:
Always check the timing after making a switch be it points or Pertronix.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
This makes absolutely no logical sense. . . wow
How so?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Where do you get the 12V from to fire the Pertronix?
Is the ignition cable on the ignition coil fully attached?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Where do you get the 12V from to fire the Pertronix?
Is the ignition cable on the ignition coil fully attached?

Yes, It's the piggy backed red cable on the coil. He spliced it and added the connector that comes with the igniter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts