Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '67 starts right up unless the engine is hot, then it won't start and barely turns over once or so. Once the engine is cold again the car starts without problem. I just recently got the car, but the alternator and starter look brand new. It was also switched over to electronic ignition before I bought it (Mallory dist/coil). My first assumption would be a starter problem even though the starter looks new. Is there anything else I should check first before replacing the starter? Thanks

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is initial timing advanced too far. Other things would be a heat soaked starter (got headers?), and boiling fuel in the bowls (phenolic spacers help INCREDIBLY here).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Johnpro, the car does have headers and throws off an awful lot of heat. I will check the timing, but I'm pretty sure it's starter related. What can I do about a heat soaked starter?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan, Just checked the grounds and they are good. Thanks for the advice though, I never thought of checking that

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The fact that you say it barely turns over really makes me think you have an engine ground problem. Run yourself a new ground wire from the engine to the firewall or battery and see if this helps.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
If the carb was vapor locking, the starter would still turn the engine over fine. You would just have bad problems starting it and keeping it started.

As others have said, it maybe heat soak at the starter which can be helped by fabricating a heat shield with some sheetmetal.

Cleaning up wire connections should probably be tried first since it is the cheapest and easiest.

Best of luck! It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Heat soaked starter is a possibility. The solenoid can also fail to function due to heat. Had a Chevy PU with headers that would never start when hot. Fixed it by mounting a Ford solenoid on the fender to replace the stock one mounted on the starter.

Since your solenoid is already mounted on the fender, and somebody already replaced the starter, I'd back off the timing a bit. This is the easiest thing to try before going to a lot of trouble fashioning a heat shield for the starter. Do you know where the timing is set?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
...get a phenolic spacer just for the sake of it, they REALLY help alot, i had the same troubles every single summer until i put one under my carb . now i hardly have any trouble at all starting on a hot day .and of course, a heat shield will help, thats going to be something i try to get soon, bc it gets hot here in sj , wooo today was killer

·
Registered
412 Posts
With headers you need to get a heat wrap for the starter. The heat from the headers causes the starter to fail. It is easy to install and will fix your problem.

Also may want to get a carb spacer to prevent fuel perculation.

I installed both of these on my car and have no more starting problems, hot or cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts