Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I restored Midlife, I had the original-style three-finger clutch, and no matter what I did, it shuddered terribly in first gear. Forget about laying rubber down on the street.

Fast forward 5 years, I installed a Centerforce standard diaphram clutch. Yippee...no more shudder. Centerforce said to wait 500 miles before "abusing" the clutch, and I just passed that milestone. So...yesterday during my morning run-about, I was at an intersection waiting for a green light and no houses around. Time to try a burn-out for the first time. Green light, revs up to 2200 rpm, slip the clutch and OMG: a long screeching sound and a nice laydown of about 30 feet! I'm sooo happy!

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I finished, this is what I saw in the rear mirror:

http://midlife66.com/miscfiles/avianflu.jpg

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
:thumbup: Great! Don't mean to minimize your success but me bone original stock
289 2V with C4 automatic easily lays rubber in low! :p

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
No. Just exhibition of speed.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Midlife, I had the exact same clutch in my 66 fastback 4-speed. I drove the car so much with the crap old clutch that when I got the centerforce in, I had to get used to it. sure enough at like 100 miles... I was on a stop sign on a hill with traffic coming. I revved a little too much and left some rubber on that road! Great clutch... you'll enjoy it. Mine was a 289 2v.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
How did Midlife finish his car before I finished mine? Geez, someone has a lot of time on their hands. :confused:

What's your motor setup Mid? Rear gear?

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Acooljt said:
How did Midlife finish his car before I finished mine? Geez, someone has a lot of time on their hands. :confused:

What's your motor setup Mid? Rear gear?
I spent 5 years working on Midlife!!! And yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands now.

I have a stock 289 4V A code, and a 3.00:1 open rear end.

And Bob, I was only getting in shape and practicing for the CornFeed Burn-Out Contests...

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Midlife said:
CharlesTurner said:
Was that a single 30ft mark? ;)
Of course it is! Long Live Peg-Leggers!

And Bob, the only thing I was racing was my heart.

Well, I suppose we can all be happy you were breaking traction and not breaking wind!

-bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts