Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be cranking over my fresh rebuild this weekend. Took some time to get here but I finally made it. Saturday I'm planning on dropping the dizzy in, timing it and cranking it. Its been about a year. Like I said - its a complete fresh rebuild. New heads, cam, reworked crank, new pistons..yada yada. I've filled it with Rotella for the CAM burn in. Got all my fluids in. Kicked it over a couple times just to make sure the starter works and the motor turns fine. I've rotated the motor by hand about a dozen or so times just to get some rotella on the moving parts (in addition to the engine build lube).

Anything I may be missing here?

Oh yeah - about how many cranks should it take before I get fuel flowing to the carb?

Thanks.

G

·
Sound slike you have everything covered. I usually put a little gas in the carb to get it fired quickly. I would spend another half hour before you start and double check EVERYTHING. Stare at it for a few minutes and things will pop in your head. Make sure you have oil pressure before it fires, you have a gauge dont you? I usually use an aftermarket on the fender so I can watch it. Temp? I like to watch that carefully as well. Do you have the cam manufacturers break in handy? Remember its not rocket science and you sound like you have covered your bases so go for it!!! You have been through alot to get here so a few cold ones afterwards will definately be in order

·
Registered
838 Posts
Go to autozone or something and you can rent an oil pump primer. It just fits into a cordless drill and it goes into the hex head oil pump and you can spin the oil pump over until you get oil up top. Just a thought since you dont have the dizzy in yet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Even though it only takes a few seconds to get oil to all the moving parts after cranking, it is still important to turn the oil pump with the cordless drill to get everything coated before firing. If you pour a tablespoon of fuel into the venturi before cranking, then it will start sooner. When you start cranking it, pump the foot pedal like crazy until she fires.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The Rotella is a good start but I would put a can of EOS or equivalent in if your running a flat tappet cam.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'd recommend you calibrate your torque wrench prior to engine fire-up
Ahh, John, Please tell me that wrench is still in the trash can :p
Good Luck, Man!!

Dave.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Definately put in a can of EOS or comp cams breakin supplement.
Recently produced Rotella has less ZDDP than stuff made a year ago.

·
Registered
470 Posts
For sure put in some EOS if you're using the new Rotella. I made an oil pump primer using a socket extension and I think a 1/4" hex socket. It takes a good amount of torque to run the pump, so be ready with a decent drill/driver. A mechanical oil pressure gauge can be installed temporarily to make SURE you have good oil pressure. Make sure your dizzy is set to give you good timing too, you can leave the holddown bolt a little loose and then it's easy to tweak the timing after she starts if needed. Most importantly relax, listen and look as she starts and runs, and enjoy that first 20 minutes. Get her up to 2K rpm and sit there.

I primed my carb and it took about one turn to fire the first time.

I also keep a fire extinguisher and a cooler of beer at the ready...

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Make sure you push it out out onto the driveway...don't first fire it inside.

Any prime the pump since no matter how well you get the timing of the bat...it's always a little hard to start...especially if going it alone. Otherwise have someone there ready to rotate the dizzy slightly to get it going while you are cranking in case you are a few degrees of.

G

·
dodgestang said:

Any prime the pump since no matter how well you get the timing of the bat...it's always a little hard to start...especially if going it alone. Otherwise have someone there ready to rotate the dizzy slightly to get it going while you are cranking in case you are a few degrees of.
Ummm Nick didnt you get the memo....John has and always will be a few degrees off :p :eek:

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
napaguy said:
dodgestang said:

Ummm Nick didnt you get the memo....John has and always will be a few degrees off :p :eek:
I wrote that memo ;)

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Here is a dumb question, is Rotella a special oil for breaking in the engine? Is there a specific brand? I am about at the same stage and have the engine in the car, used the proper assembly lube, etc. and now want to put the proper oil in it for the break in. Any advise?

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Make sure you use a heavy duty 1/2 in drill to prime the oil pump, as a 3/8 won't cut it and you may burn it up. Also expect the rpms to raise as the motor loosens up and run it @ 2k rpms for 30 minutes.
Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Rotella is an oil formulated for diesel engines which contains higher levels of zinc and other anti-wear components which are essential to the survival of older flat tappet equipped engines. These anti-wear components have been phased out of most passenger car oils due to their deleterious effect on modern emissions systems. Unfortunately, even diesel oil formulations are seeing reduced levels of zinc as diesel emission requirements become more stringent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts