Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I am ordering a Melling replacement pump ($24) and an oil pan gasket set ($12). Anything you all can think I should order at this time?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got one sitting in the garage.
Studio pet had bought it for his 66, but yesterday I was like, dude you already have an oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster ;)

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to source that locally, Jegs/summit don't seem to carry it, at least it doesn't turn up in the search pages.

But since the plan is to inspect the bearings and if they pass visual muster then install and run with replacement oil pump, do I really need it now ::

·
Registered
310 Posts
A Mechanical oil pressure gauge, and copper tubeing.. plastigauge, as said.. maybe some new bearings.. :) always a good shelf item.. if ur not already using one.. a nice beafy oil pump drive rod.. might as well oder that new cam set too while ur at it :) and a rev. limiter..

AJ

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Jegs part number 312-P4286819, "Plastigauge Assortment"

Summit Racing part number DCC-4286819, "Plastigauge assortment". For some reason they list it as a Mopar part????

JC Whitney is your online source for Plastigage (I checked spelling :) )

I used to buy it at NAPA though.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ha- found it at Jegs now with the corrected spelling.
As for the mechanical gauge....I already told you I don't want to run hot oil into the car no matter how 'safe' it is. This isn't a race car, its just a street car with a racey motor :) an sender with an electric gauge is all I need ;)

As for bearings....if there is any major bearing problems, I think the motor will just get taken somewhere and fixed.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Dodge, get the hint my friend. You dont need to run oil into the cab, but you do need to make sure FOR NOW anyway, that you have the best way to check the real oil pressure that you can. Hang the mechanical gauge off the side of the motor for now if you have to, then you can do the electric gauge thing later

This may sound coarse, but what the guys are saying is that you should never have put a performance motor together in the first place without a gauge. The issue is a stock electic gauge does not react quick enough to save the motor, and only good aftermarket, like VDO or Autometer will react quick enough if electric, the oil light only tells you something AFTER it goes wrong

However, do you really want to wait a wire an electric gauge when you can just screw one into the side of the block for now and fire it? You are perilously close to a junk motor, dont get caught up on other issues.

I apologize for being blunt, but no oil will scatter that thing quicker than you can react, rods turn blue and change shape, crank and bearings weld themselves together, pieces of all that go through the lifters and embed in every oil passage. Dont screw around now, check everything and throw a good mechanical gauge on there. I'd even advise either a high quality one, or at least one thats known to work well. I keep a nice old Stewart Warner in my box with a grease fitting hose permanently mounted for things just like this. I know mines good and I know what the motor is doing immediately just by screwing it into the block and firing it up.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
310 Posts
maybe start shopping now for a temp motor to drive while this one is being rebuilt.. :( Hope all works out for the best.. but plan for the worst..

AJ

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
By george I think hes got it!

Good choice Dodge, despite my rather grumpy reply, remember unsolicted advice is just an email away. Need any advice fire away!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts