Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my 65 pony, I've got it to the point were it can be driven around the block. The next step is getting tires, I would like to get the original size, but I don't know what that is. If any one has an idea, please let me know, the rims I have are 14in. The car also looses coolant, when it gets hot. It's missing the resivour, which I need to get, but I don't know how big. I just put a little one from a maxima, its only about half gallon, may be a little bigger. I'm wondering if thats enought for a 289 engine. Lastly, the speedometer doesn't work properly, it reads about 15mph under the actual speed. The car used to be manual, but its now auto, I think its a C4. Any ideas on why its doing that? Thats it for now, unitl I find new bugs.
Thaks
Luis

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
185-75-14 is about what the original size tires were.
I have a set of whitewalls on rim I can ship out to you for $125 plus shipping if you like ;) that way you can inexpensively decide if you want to upgrade tires and rims ;)

Burping out coolant when it gets hot is common, that is why we all add coolant catch cans. The long cylinder ones from fatrodder are very popular and I can't imagine they hold much more that the one you already bought...so you should be ok...just make sure you upgrade your radiator cap....IIRC original radiator caps were not designed for use with a coolant recovery system and will not work properly in the application.

Changing the tranny should not affect the speedo gear but I have also never gone from a manual to an auto or vise versa...in all likely hood, either the rear gearing was changed at some point and the speedo teeth not adjusted, or you are currently running a tire size way off stock sizing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The older cars like yours didn't have the coolant reservoir that is in newer cars. They just had a radiator. The speedometer problem could be the cable. They aren't that expensive, and are fairly simple to install. Just make sure to get the right one for your engine/tanny combo.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re the speedo...the C4 most likely usses a different speedo gear located in the side of the trans where the speedo cable attaches. NPD catalog and others have the gear you need.
If you have Excel, send me PM or email and I will send you a speedo calculator I have used successfully to determine which size gear (# of teeth) you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts