Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been infected by this computer virus each of the last 2 days and I wanted to warn you guys. It is an email spread virus with a self opening attachment that d/loads to your computer automatically when you click on the email (in other words you don't have to manually open the attachment it opens itself).

The reason I wanted to warn you is the offending emails had Mustang related subject lines. I don't know that much about computer viruses (this is the first one I've ever gotten), I don't know if this virus can see the cookies or internet cache files and adjust it's subject line to match my points of interest thus increasing it's chances of me looking at it or perhaps it spread to me from someone I have corresponded with that also has interest in Mustangs.

I haven't had any trouble cleaning it from my system but I guess I will need to get a good email scanning antivirus program...Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This particular virus has been sent to me probably 10 times a day for the last two months. It can only infect Microsoft Outlook E-mail clients that have not been patched. It uses a bug in Outlook that was patched over a year ago if the users installed the patch from the windowsupdate site. Fortunately, I have not been infected by it, but it is still a pain to delete all of these bogus E-mails that keep trying to spread the virus. Sometimes it almost looks like a legitimate E-mail, and I have received some from [email protected] with a Mustang subject line! The virus snarfs addresses from web sites in your browser cache, and from your address book to compose the E-mail To, From and Subject fields!

Be careful out there!

Tom

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I got it the other day,too. The E was from 66 Mustang 302.
My antivirus went off like a chinese new year.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bob is sending out viruses? I guess it's time to donate and support this site... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Banned
925 Posts
Funny thing, I have gotton two emails like that from Mustangers that I know. I opened the first one and there was no content. I use Norton both on the incoming email and to scan my computer and it never went off. The second email I just deleted but the same thing - no warning, nothing in the virus scanning log. I've checked my virus lists and Norton updates weekly so I don't understand unless some of the emails are not infected. I also check my outgoing email and I have sent email to myself at work to make sure I am not sending infected email but so far I have no indication that I have actually been infected. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Being one of those annoying Outlook lovers I still take a few precautions depending on where I'm going on the web. I maintain 3 email addresses, work, home and lastly hotmail.
For any discussion groups, internet-centric use I always use my hotmail account and only read it via their web site. For transactions and purchases I use my home (Outlook via cable modem provider) email address. Lastly, work is for work /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
I've found this to be one of the safest but sometimes confusing to others. They'll email me to hotmail and I'll respond from home. It's a bother but I've been Outlook virus free! (And that says a lot.) Always keep up to date on MS software. It's pretty painless.
D

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
I got a virus a few weeks ago. It came in the form of a email that came from the "posmaster" as an undeliverable email sent from my pc. Thinking it was something my son sent out, I opened the attachment to see what it was. Well the Norton went hog wild.

I just recieved an email 2 days ago from the postmaster as an undeliverable email from my pc, I dumped it right away....as all the other ones I don't reconize.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
This worm hides by using someones name in your address book as the "from" so that the receiving person thinks it came from that person and not the true sender. So I'm sure Bob didn't sent it. I too was receiving this worm in literally dozens of returned email notices. I updated Norton, Mcafee, Fix it utilities and downloaded the cleaner from the internet and after a couple hours of download and scanning, found I was clean all along. Yesterday I had 6 instances of Klez.h from my business Email site. I had to delete the files to get rid of it. Happily, no damage. Just shoot them! That's my answer.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I get so many of those "undeliverable" messages that I put a filter on my ISP to dump them all, rather than deliver them. They come in flurries.

There are days when I get so many that my ISP notifies me that my mailbox is full. When I go check my mailbox it is the trashcan that is full. Too bad they don't have a filter option to permanently delete things...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts