Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some direction on what (or if) I should use for a coolant recovery system on my 70 mach 1 (351C-4V). Although I want to keep the car as original as possible, I really think I need to do something. It gets up to 105+ here!
Is there a bottle or system I could use that would help me keep an original looking engine compartment? I can’t remember if my ‘71s had a recovery system....maybe that might be an option.... And I dunno if I’ll eventually show the car - that’s kinda the way I’ve been approaching the resto - and I wonder if this addition might be frowned upon by concours judges.
I do have plenty-o-room for something to be mounted on the front LH side of the engine compt. (next to the window-washer reservoir) - and would think that’s the best place for something to go.... I really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I personally think that some type of coolant recovery system is needed - nothing is more embarrassing than to pull your pride and joy into a show or cruise and have it "puke" coolant everywhere. I don't really care for the "Pep Boys" style coolant kits (boxy looking nylon with retainer cage). I have opted for something the hot rod guys use - a nice polished billet cylinder about 2 inches in diameter that mounts to the side of your radiator. Its great looking and very functional.....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Definitely a necessity. I have had nothing but trouble with my 68 428 in that respect, finally added a recovery system, made a mounting bracket that attached to an existing mounting bolt so as not to put any unwanted holes in the inner fenders. That way it can be removed at a show and not spoil the originality.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Based on a suggestion from this forum I mounted an overflow tank in the inner fender well. Like Shelby suggests, I was able to fabricate an aluminum bracket that attaches to the back of the bolts that hold on the fender extension (inside the front fenderwell) I was able to run a rubber hose from the radiator overflow to the tank through the existing gap between the radiator support and front frame rail...The point being that with a little creativity you could mount the overflow tank in a hidden location without drilling or altering your car in any way. For concourse judging just remove the rubber hose and the tank is hidden by the splash guard behind the headlight. I really only have experience with '69 Mustangs, but I'm sure you could do something similar with the '70. I use an aluminum octagonal type tank available from Summit for about $40.00. Not only will the tank protect you from embarassing public overflow problems as Bosscars states...but it will protect your undercarriage from unsightly dried antifreeze stains.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestions guys. That's exactly the advice I needed. One more thing though, how much capacity should the recovery tank have? 2 quarts? 1 quart? And should the recovery tank be mounted above the radiator cap outlet, below it, or even with it....or does it matter? Thanks a million. That really helped. Chris

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
You need to mount the recovery kit as high as you can to assist in the flowback suction. A lot of what has been mentioned here and previously are "puke cans": one way cans for drag racing applications. The coolant does not flow back into the radiator when cold. You need a true coolant recovery system. Capacity should be as big as you possibly can get...too small and you lose your vacuum when all the water gets sucked out. I think I have a 3 qt. capacity on mine, and it's about right.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
As Midlife says the can should be mounted as high as possible but I found that it wasn't easy to satisfy all the requirements...Hidden, above the radiator outlet, no drilling on the car, and high capacity...So I used a 1 quart race style "dump can" as Midlife states. But, I use the bottom fitting for an inlet so that the overflow hose is always covered with coolant...I use the top fitting as overflow and vent (I have not had any problems with overflow from the 1 quart container). I was advised by AFCO (my radiator manufacturer) that as long as your radiator cap has the "little brass disk" on the bottom that the radiator will be able to suck the fluid back in. You should be able to tell how it works...the top gasket in the cap seals the radiator, while the main spring loaded gasket keeps pressure in the radiator, high pressure in the radiator keeps "the little brass disk" pressed against the main spring loaded gasket. When pressure in the radiator gets too high it pushes coolant past the main spring loaded gasket and out the overflow fitting. When pressure in the radiator gets low it pulls the main spring loaded gasket against its seat...but also pulls open "the little brass disk" allowing coolant (or air) to be sucked back in through the overflow fitting. Anyway, I have not sat around and watched the radiator suck coolant back in (Midlife has, so he knows his system works well)...but my radiator is staying full, and I no longer have antifreeze puking out when I sit in traffic, so I assume it is working well. I do have about a six inch long column of air in my overflow hose though so I assume that gets sucked back in before any coolant...or it may be expelled as a bubble when the radiator overflows and yield a solid column of coolant when the radiator draws the coolant back in. I'll have to get a couple of beers, and watch the thing work some day.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again everyone. All my questions were answered and then some. ABN, I really appreciate you taking to time to go into such detail. Chris

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
It's very interesting watching the water flow in and out...try it some time.

Yeah, I know, I gotta get a life! *Gurgle gurgle*

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts