Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I removed my read bumper I noticed that the bracket that attaches it to rear was badly rusted away.
I was thinking about using some POR-15 that I have to paint it before I install it. The same goes for the
front bumper brackets.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You can paint anything you want. And everything on my car is painted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I painted rusty bumper brackets with port 15 maybe 5 years ago. Has held up and looks great

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
707 Posts
Not a fan of pie 15 but yes most things should be painted before installing because as you said then bumper brackets cannot be painted again once they’re mounted unless the bumpers removed so....

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I paint just about everything I bolt on the car. If I don't it'll be rusted before the day's out.

Of course I live in Florida and the local TV station says the humidity has currently gone down to only 71% and it's raining at the moment. Depending on where you live the rusting may be less of a concern but I still think the parts look better with some black or grey paint on them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I painted everything I could with POR15, with a brush, after using their cleaning and prep fluids. Some info about using it in case you don't already know: Don't open the can until you are ready to use most of it. It sets up from moisture in the air and will eventually do so in the can. Be sure and wipe any residue off the can lid seam and lid before putting the lid back on. If you don't, you'll never get the lid back off. Wear long rubber gloves if painting with a brush. If you get any on your skin and it cures there, you'll never get it off.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Painting for protection is good. Some parts may not have come painted from factory. Concours Mustang Forum is a good source if you are going for judging.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I painted or powder coated all the bolt on parts. Black was the usual color except for the center link and tie rods. I got a cast grey from Eastwood to spray those.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I painted everything I could with POR15, with a brush, after using their cleaning and prep fluids. Some info about using it in case you don't already know: Don't open the can until you are ready to use most of it. It sets up from moisture in the air and will eventually do so in the can. Be sure and wipe any residue off the can lid seam and lid before putting the lid back on. If you don't, you'll never get the lid back off. Wear long rubber gloves if painting with a brush. If you get any on your skin and it cures there, you'll never get it off.
Some other tips unless it’s chemically changed, (used it a lot 25 years ago) put clear plastic wrap between the lid and can before closing tightly and put it in the back of yo beer fridge. It will last literally for years.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I painted all of my suspension parts with POR15. For the most part, I regret it. It really gums up the threads, bolts, etc. Also it is tough in regards to durability however when it does chip, peel, etc then trying to spot repair generally looks bad. I've found the paint to be thick and impossible to sand. I think a good flat black enamel paint works better or if you want to get fancy with a gun - a black epoxy would be ideal..

david

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I took every nut and bolt off mine. All brackets that were not replaced got sandblasted, epoxy primed (Eastwood) and painted with 2K chassis black. I only put a thin coat of epoxy primer on any bolt threads and did not have problems installing them. I did case threads on the chassis after priming.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
567 Posts
Paint..coating...= protection - points concours..what do you want?

·
Registered
376 Posts
My car is mostly used parts. I painted most parts going on. But it really slows you down if you don't plan everything in advance. I just wanted to drive my car again so I stopped painting parts that could easily be removed and painted later.
I got a 6 pack of the little cans of POR15 instead of one larger one. I use a plastic bag so I have a double layer between the lid and the can when resealing. I usually can get the can back open without issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts