Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Would like opinions...Weld or Replace (pic)

811 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  69aztec 
#1 ·
My vert has rust in the lower rear DS door jamb. I have a coupe parts car that is rust-free (except for a little surface rust that has formed since I stripped it to make sure it was solid) in the same area and I have considered cutting a piece of donor metal and welding it in. Another approach would be to simply back the hole with copper and weld it up. What would you guys do? When formulating your opinion, keep in mind there are two layers of sheetmetal in this area.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/717460/5767573/126572448.jpg

#2 ·
You could back it with copper but remember you will be chasing the rust as it will not weld. The best approach would be to cut and replace to clean meatal.

If you want to chase then when you weld it will bubble up and you will have to grind grind grind till it gets to be all new metal, in my opinion it is not worth the chase and extra work to get to good metal for weld up.

The amount of time you spend on trying to weld it up you could replace with good clean metal.

#5 ·
new stang fan is right and besides that's a easy fix if you have the right welder.cut out as little as possible,in that small area you might need to cut it with die grinder with a cut off wheel.And to try to save you're other cars get some scrap metal or some 16ga.it's a little thicker than stock but not much and it will be a little stronger and weld to you're stock metal.it's what i've been using and mine has turned out nice.Good luck! :chainsaw: :: :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.