Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have decided to keep my car some what orignal. meaning i am gonna keep the orignal 200ci engine. but i am gonna have it bored out. the shop im going to will bore it .030 and hone it for $175. hot tank for $50. how much can i bore the engine. i was looking on the ford 6 page and the sell rings for .080 how much would i gain by boreing it more then .030. i am also going to have a 3 angle valve job and should i replace the valves and seats and springs?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Here's my $.02.
How much can you bore it out? Well, .080 sounds like the max to me (IIRC, it is). You dont really gain much, if anything. Boring .030 to get power is an old wives' tale, as anything you do gain is going to be canceled out by cylinder deflection (flexing) caused by the overbore. Personally, I'd just have them overbore just enough to clean it up. You don't Have to go straigt to 30 over, they make 10 and 20 over pistons for most engines.

PS: You can go to Kragen/Autozone and get 2.3 HO pistions, there're forged and they fit the 200ci and theyre cheap
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think you will be driving your car and putting quite a few miles on it, so the following is based on that assumption:

I would bore it the minimal amount necessary to clean it up. If it doesn't need bored, just have them hone it and go back stock bore. The amount of HP you will gain by boring is minimal. Plus, if it needs another overhaul in the future, you will hopefully have enough water jacket to bore it out some more to increase longevity of the block.

If you really want to improve HP without losing reliability and MPG, consider the 250 head swap. The improved breathing capacity will help power a lot. It also will take to a cam swap to give more performance. Hardened seats are also a good idea on a driven car. If you go the 250 head swap route, it may already have hardened seats, depending on the year.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts