Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first car in 1992 right after graduating high school. 1969 Ford Mustang. I loved that car. All original blue interior, automatic. I dream about that car. I hate myself for selling her. I was a poor college kid at the time. I have tried everything I can today to try to find her. I still have my license plate, an original key and a hubcap. I unfortunately do not have any records with a VIN number. My name would be on the title as Angela Kay Nelson. Anyone in here own her? Would love to see her (or buy her) ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Welcome, Angie! Always great to meet women who are Mustang fans. We are mostly dudes here, but we have a few very sharp women as well.

Hey, that's a nice '69 coupe you had there. So sorry you no longer own it. Unfortunately, it's very unlikely you'll be able to find the car outside of dumb luck. Due to modern privacy laws, you can't get registration information from the DMV or police.

However, you are in luck. For some reason, the 69-70 coupes just never took off with collectors or enthusiasts. I like those cars, but for most people, it's a "Meh...". Therefore, unlike almost every other 1965-1970 Mustang, the 69 coupes are still reasonably priced.

While you have a sentimental attachment to that particular Mustang, I would encourage you to find another '69 coupe you can drive and enjoy. Luckily, Ford built many thousands of them and a lot of them are still around. If you're ready to buy, we can help to you find a nice, clean 1969 Mustang coupe for a fair price. The people here are very helpful and are always glad to assist another Mustang fan.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought my first car in 1992 right after graduating high school. 1969 Ford Mustang. I loved that car. All original blue interior, automatic. I dream about that car. I hate myself for selling her. I was a poor college kid at the time. I have tried everything I can today to try to find her. I still have my license plate, an original key and a hubcap. I unfortunately do not have any records with a VIN number. My name would be on the title as Angela Kay Nelson. Anyone in here own her? Would love to see her (or buy her) ;)
I love the 1969 mustangs and have owned two over the years. Love the Wimbledon white! There is another website 69stang.com that you could check out. The group is very helpful. You could also check out the local mustang clubs in the area where you sold your car. Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Some states do allow a limited search of records. It's also amazing what you can find on the internet...some private investigators and repossession companies have access to databases that may help. What State are you in and which were you in at the time? Don't let the search for one keep you from enjoying another.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,660 Posts
If you are looking for that particular car, you might want to start with giving it's last known location. Though some cars get shipped to the other side of the world, most stay fairly local. I happen to know for a fact that my '69 has lived its entire life no more than a 100 miles from the dealership that sold it new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, Angie! Always great to meet women who are Mustang fans. We are mostly dudes here, but we have a few very sharp women as well.

Hey, that's a nice '69 coupe you had there. So sorry you no longer own it. Unfortunately, it's very unlikely you'll be able to find the car outside of dumb luck. Due to modern privacy laws, you can't get registration information from the DMV or police.

However, you are in luck. For some reason, the 69-70 coupes just never took off with collectors or enthusiasts. I like those cars, but for most people, it's a "Meh...". Therefore, unlike almost every other 1965-1970 Mustang, the 69 coupes are still reasonably priced.

While you have a sentimental attachment to that particular Mustang, I would encourage you to find another '69 coupe you can drive and enjoy. Luckily, Ford built many thousands of them and a lot of them are still around. If you're ready to buy, we can help to you find a nice, clean 1969 Mustang coupe for a fair price. The people here are very helpful and are always glad to assist another Mustang fan.
Thank You! Yeah, that car holds ALOT of memories for me. My parents and grandparents were 1969 Mustang owners as well so they were a great influence on me :) Now my own son is a Ford Man. I usually don't have good luck anyways. lol. If i do find one I just cannot say no to, I definitely will be buying! Ive earned it! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to VMF. Some states do allow a limited search of records. It's also amazing what you can find on the internet...some private investigators and repossession companies have access to databases that may help. What State are you in and which were you in at the time? Don't let the search for one keep you from enjoying another.
I owned it in Nebraska. I currently live in Iowa. I have called the courthouse in Lincoln several times and they just tell me that they don't have records that far back.

·
Registered
258 Posts
'69 GT coupes, with steel wheels and hood scoop look great!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Do you know anyone in law enforcement? Even a local policeman? With your plate number, state and year and vehicle color, they might be able to get access to Nebraska DMV records. That way, they could get the VIN from the registration. Once you have the VIN, a search of it might come close to finding it.

I had a '68 GTCS that I sold 1in 2004. In 2018, I decided I wanted another one. But I Googled the VIN of my original one and found that it had been sold twice via auctions in the UK. Once in 2015 and again in 2017. I had sold it to a fellow in downstate Illinois. I asked Silverstone Auctions to forward my contact info to the buyer at the 2017 auction and to contact me if they had any interest in selling. Never heard back.

Is it possible your folks might have a copy of a registration or even a bill of sale?

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
@1968Cally LEOs can look up all kinds of stuff. So much stuff it is scary. But there are laws in place for the modern age that subject us to federal and/or state prison for using the system for anything other than law enforcement purposes. Nobody with anything to lose really wants to lose their job and go to prison for a longer time than some would do for murder. Just sayin'.

Reactions: AngieE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know anyone in law enforcement? Even a local policeman? With your plate number, state and year and vehicle color, they might be able to get access to Nebraska DMV records. That way, they could get the VIN from the registration. Once you have the VIN, a search of it might come close to finding it.

I had a '68 GTCS that I sold 1in 2004. In 2018, I decided I wanted another one. But I Googled the VIN of my original one and found that it had been sold twice via auctions in the UK. Once in 2015 and again in 2017. I had sold it to a fellow in downstate Illinois. I asked Silverstone Auctions to forward my contact info to the buyer at the 2017 auction and to contact me if they had any interest in selling. Never heard back.

Is it possible your folks might have a copy of a registration or even a bill of sale?
My parents have moved twice now so they won't have any info on the car. My sons ex girlfriends dad is a State Trooper. He couldn't help me. I have called the DMV twice in Lincoln and they just told me that they don't keep records that far back. Sorry that you couldn't find your car. I would be over the moon if I found mine.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
Having you tried looking up the plate # and the state and year you sold it

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Similar story. Mine was a '69 hardtop, 6 cylinder, 3 speed. Bought it in '83 bfor $500. Had it painted blue (cost another $500) and put a scoop on it. I traded it in on (IIRC) a Ford EXP at a dealership in Birmingham Alabama. No telling where it is now. I would probably buy it also but realize it is long gone...

Good luck, I hope you catch a break and can find it.

Allen

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
I think that website only works with 1981 and later 17-digit VINs

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Is it possible that you have information about the insurance agent you used? May be possible they would have a record with the VIN information. Long shot but what the heck....

John

Reactions: dobrostang

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is it possible that you have information about the insurance agent you used? May be possible they would have a record with the VIN information. Long shot but what the heck....

John
Excellent suggestion. I worked for Allstate in the home office for 32 years and did I think of that? Noooooooo.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you have the VIN that would go a long way. I do like it was (hopefully still is) Wimbledon White. I have my first car, '67, and yes it was originally Wimbledon White (PO painted it candy apple red) . It has not been easy to keep all these years (30 or so) not running. That's right, 30 years not using it. So never give up. I'm working on mine now. Along with my kids who are older than I was when I got mine. I'm fixing a lot of the mistakes I made now.....

My dad and I had a 67 390 4 spd non-GT fastback (base model 390) in the late 80's. I think we paid $750 for it and flipped it for $1500. The front left had been hit and it was impossible to get the plugs out as the whole front apron was bent in towards the engine. Had a 68 left front fender with the light. Totally not correct. Parts were not available at the time (except cutting out of a good car). Wish we kept that! Oh well.

I wish you luck. Be glad you don't have a 67-68 fastback as they were converted to Eleanor's!!!

Though I agree with the other posters, if you can't find that car, get one just like it and enjoy!

Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
call your dmv or go there with plate they should be able to track tag/car if still in state or give a photo copy of title which will have vin number on it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts