Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure wish one of our vendors would reproduce a nice 3-speed shifter lever . Im surprised no one has yet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it needs chrome. Have you priced chrome plating lately? Im sure it would be cheaper to buy a repro.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I sure wish one of our vendors would reproduce a nice 3-speed shifter lever . Im surprised no one has yet.
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Yes it needs chrome. Have you priced chrome plating lately? Im sure it would be cheaper to buy a repro.
Fair enough, but most of the chrome on repro parts is junk. You’ll end up having to dip them again down the road anyway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the base on yours looks like the 4 spd, they'll interchange. The repro price is probably close to being the same as a re-chrome (though I don't know of anyone in the US that does re-chrome work).

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the base on yours looks like the 4 spd, they'll interchange. The repro price is probably close to being the same as a re-chrome (though I don't know of anyone in the US that does re-chrome work).
Sorry, I stand corrected. I got curious and researched chrome plating and found businesses that do that in the US. I'd heard rumors that that business was forced to move outside the US due the caustic nature of the work.

·
Registered
33,988 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I've used these guys for a lot of my work. Yes, it's expensive, however, as others have stated, most of the repro stuff is junk along with their plating. My advice, choke down the plating cost and know it's "right".
https://www.paulschrome.com. Also, there are a couple highly rated businesses in Tennessee that's supposed to be good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Keep in mind that with very limited exception, the vendors we know are generally not manufacturers, they typically buy at the wholesale level and resell at the retail level. Occasionally, they will place an order for the tooling necessary to make the part and assume the risk that there is a market that will allow them to make a profit. As indicated earlier in this thread, the demand for a part must be large enough to justify the tooling costs before someone will invest the money to make it happen. Do a survey among 3 speed shifter buyers to see what the demand for that part might be and at what price point your survey takers would be willing to buy. I surmise that the result will be the production is not financially feasible.

If you have fab skills, consider making your own and polish it or powered coat it. If not, I suggest you scrounge your local pick and pull yards to see if you can find one in better shape than the one you have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts