Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a crank and rods for my 347 stroker project and was wondering what you guys thought of the parts. I found a Hawks racing crank for $140 and a PRC crank for $180. I also found a set of rods for $240. The cranks are EGAY #'s 2424164213(PRC) and 2424399327. The rods are # 2424402257. I don't know much about good brands for these parts and was also wondering if these are fair prices. The cranks seem very cheap so I assume that they are junk. Thanks for your help as always.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
honestly, with the critical importance of the recip assy in a stroker, without lots of engine-building experience I would not attempt to piecemeal one together from Fleabay. There are tons of companies making complete 347 kits these days at good prices, like CCM, Summit, FRPP, etc that it only makes sense to get one new w all parts matched from the get-go. Your F-bay savings, assuming the sale goes OK, will be partially comsumed by the need (I think) of having a machine shop check the quality of these parts anyway.

I am a cheap so-n-so in many areas, this is one I would not even attempt to cheap out. A mistake here or an unscrupulous Flea-bayer could be catastrophic when you fire that motor the first time :p

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have heard that the money you save by buying a hwk cark will be spent in double in balancing. save you money and buy a scat stroker kit.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
When it comes to cast iron cranks, which these are. Many of them, regardless of the brand name, are cast by the same factories and have similar ratings. It's a different story when you're talking about forged steel, or billet type cranks.

With that being said, you need to pay special attention to the specs of the crank such as rod lengths, bearing journals etc. The PRC crank you mention has stock bearing journals, so you'll need to be careful when ordering bearings if you have to mill the block.

The Rods aren't anything special, shot penned I beams (Better than stock, but not as good as H-Beams) and they're made by PROBE. Price is competitive with other I beams.

If you're not looking to THRASH THE CRAP out of this motor and simply want a strong torque motor, a cast iron crank and I beam rods will do just fine. I'm just a little suspicious of the PRC crank in that most better known brands are asking $450.00 + for theirs. What is it the other brands are doing that PRC is not? Chamfered oil galleys, Radiused journal edges etc.? It's worth it to check these things out before spending money on the crank.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
My SCAT crank and rods were high quality with excellent machining. Crank needed only to be balanced. All the journals were right on the money. The H-beam rods were within 1/2 gram.

I highly recommend SCAT products. :)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Im running 331 kit that has a scat crank, eagle I beam rods and JE flat top pistons, the whole setup with rings and bearings cost me $740 shipped to my door. Bought it from mustang depot in a fleabay auction. Local race engine shop had no trouble balancing it and said I got a killer deal.. Ive got $1100 into my shortblock, that includes the above parts, hot tanking, boring & decking the block, new cam bearings, checking the crank bore and balancing. If you're patient, good deals will come your way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts