Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
you are going to need adapters to make them fit on the front. the rears should bolt up, but you may have clearance issues, so the backspacing will need to be checked. you may want to find someone with the tool for measuring backspacing or pick one up from Summit or Jegs.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I honestly don't think you are going to get a 10.5" wide rear on a '67. I have the same size wheels/tires on my '95 and I did some measuring for my '66. I know it just 'ain't going to happen on my car.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have 10.5's on the back of my '98 as well and there is not allot of room there either. best do do your homework on the fitment first, because with most wheel companies once you mount tires on them, you own them.

just my $.02

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You might need wheel spacers, and then they'll probably stick out a little bit. The 67-68 is wider than 65-66. I have 19x9's up front and 19x10's in the rear on my 66, I have about 2" fender flares.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
latamud,
You planning on welding those flares on or leaving them the way they are?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Pretty sure the 17x9's won't fit in the front and 17x10.5's won't fit in the rear, unless you are widening the fenders with flares.

Find a package with 17x8's in the front and 17x9's for the rear. They will fit nicely with just a spacer.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
HYG - I enjoy the challenge :)

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/500/Mustang_wheel_sizes.jpg

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
You definitely need to get a Percy's Wheelrite tool to measure, just as I have. It's $70 and will save you some $$ in the long run if you are pushing the limits. Those wheels without the rivets are what I'm looking at for my mach.

My measurements were taken on my 70, so take this with a grain of salt since you have a 67. I have a feeling the wheelhouses are a tad smaller than my 70. The 17x9 will fit on the front with a 1.25" spacer and 245 tires. Any larger tire than that and you'll have fender clearance issues. Plan on rolling the fenders front and rear. The rear wheels will fit with approximately a 7/16" or 1/2" spacer. This puts it VERY close to the leaf spring. A BFH will be needed to pound the lower front inner wheelhouse to clear the tires. This was measured with a 315 tire on the rear, so with the 275 that they use you'll have less clearance issues with the quarter most likely.

Again, get that tool if you wanna push the limits. My measurements was with the axle on jack stands and no one in the car. Add a few people in the back seat and there may be more clearance issues to work out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 1966 wheels have a 4.5" backspace and those on eBay are 27mm=1.1" backspace. So they will stick out even if you use spacers.
The eBay rims have an offset of 27mm, not backspace. Since first gen Mustangs have a stock offset of about 0, these eBay rims will actually go in deeper (by 27mm) than stock. (positive offset moves the body of the rim into the car, negative offset moves the body out)

I'm sure there's an online calculator that can convert the offset and width of a rim into the correct backspacing equivalent. Off the top of my head, I would guess that the 10.5" rims have a backspacing of around 6".

Either way, those 10.5s aren't going to fit on the rear without some body work of some sort.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I like this handy tool to help compare things: Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

The front 9" rims with ET24 offset will have 6" backspacing. With a 1.25" spacer, you end up with a net backspacing of 4.75". That is about as close to the balljoint as you can get. A 4.5" backspacing is more ideal and would need a 1.5" spacer, but then you are pushing the wheel closer to the fender lip and will definitely cause issues there.

The back 10.5" wheels with ET27 offset have 6.8" backspacing.

I agree, its definitely not a bolt on and go setup

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for crushing my dream!
hehe ;) Much good info here, learned a lot regarding offset/backspace ++

Thanks!

btw ripped, i really love your car, great work!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just put 17x8 with 5'' bs on the front of my 67. I'm going to need to massage the upper control arm a bit. I have about 1/8'' clearance at the moment. But, it's going to work.

I have 17x9 on the rear with 5.75'' bs and no issues on the wheel. But, I am going to do some massaging on the inner fender front over the leaf springs to get the tire to work right. My rear is a 9'' and is about 1'' wider than stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts