Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing and updating the head unit in my car to a modern set up with buetooth and cell interface. One of the options was to add a Sirius package.

So I bought it.

I painted the antenna body colour, but it still looks pretty butt ugly on the rear just below the backglass between the trunk.
After about 15 minutes of looking at it, I ripped it off there.

Then I thought, since it has a magnetic base, I could always stick it back there on a long road trip etc.

After checking some of the billing reviews online, I am now hesitant.
I recall the sound quality being kind of bad, when I heard it in another vehicle.

What are your guys' experiences?

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Bluetooth is all you need. I had Sirius in 07 when it came with my new mustang. Loved it then. Since pandora and YouTube music came about I see no need for it. I did sign up for it when I bought the wife her hybrid a couple years ago and found it chok full of commercials. Canceled quickly.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I have it in my '15 Mustang. They sell you a cheap introductory package of something like 6 months for $30 and you MUST give them a credit card on file. At the end of the 6 months it goes to $20/month and they hope you don't notice the charge. I do notice and I call them and tell them I will pay no more than $5/month or I will cancel. Miraculously they find that the $5/month offer is still available and with fees and taxes it comes to $6.48/month.
Commercials? I never hear any. I thought that was the whole purpose of paying for Sirius- no commercials.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
I have it in my '15 Mustang. They sell you a cheap introductory package of something like 6 months for $30 and you MUST give them a credit card on file. At the end of the 6 months it goes to $20/month and they hope you don't notice the charge. I do notice and I call them and tell them I will pay no more than $5/month or I will cancel. Miraculously they find that the $5/month offer is still available and with fees and taxes it comes to $6.48/month.
Commercials? I never hear any. I thought that was the whole purpose of paying for Sirius- no commercials.
I thought so too, I believe its just sports, news and comedy channels that have them.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I wouldn’t do it. The stations on Sirius/XM suck and so does the sound quality. It’s bad when Bluetooth sound quality is far better. For less than than Sirius/XM costs, you can get Spotify and build much better stations, along with listening to whatever you want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently added a new head unit to my '66 and all it came with are Bluetooth and a USB input. I just stream my Sirius app from my phone and have never had any issues with it. I also have Sirius in my 4 Runner and have never experienced any sound quality issues.

-Josh

·
Premium Member
10,809 Posts
If you are not using a front speaker you can set that little antenna on the grill. If you have a fastback you can mount on in the lower middle of the rear window or upper corner.

·
Premium Member
10,809 Posts
I wouldn’t do it. The stations on Sirius/XM suck and so does the sound quality. It’s bad when Bluetooth sound quality is far better. For less than than Sirius/XM costs, you can get Spotify and build much better stations, along with listening to whatever you want.
you must have a poor quality radio. My Sirius home tuner sounds awesome through a pair of these speakers. I'm sirius.

·
Premium Member
10,809 Posts
I have had Sirius since 2005. Its cheaper to by a 1 year subscription. Its more cheaper if you have 2 or more radios. I'm very sirius.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
If you are not using a front speaker you can set that little antenna on the grill. If you have a fastback you can mount on in the lower middle of the rear window or upper corner.
I have a front speaker and also have the small magnetic antenna for Sirius/XM stuck to the grille. Works fine behind the glass and nothing is stuck to my paint. I have another one on the dash of my F-250.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I got Sirius XM free for 12 months when I bought my Jeep Gladiator. We got three free months when we bought my wife's Subaru. It's always the same. There's only one channel I really like which is Siriusly Sinatra. The other music stations are pretty much commercial radio without the commercials. Same artists, same songs, same old situation.

Satellite radio had very good sound quality when it first launched. Then they started cramming more and more channels and sacrificed bandwidth and quality. It doesn't matter what speakers you have, the sound quality is no better than FM radio. (Bluetooth is only slightly better, but yeah, most people think it's just fine.)

Things weren't going well for satellite radio, so Sirius and XM merged. Now things are going less well which is why Sirius XM bought Pandora. Yeah, streaming is the future. Satellite radio is pretty much circling the drain. So, no. I won't be signing up at the end of my free subscription. And I wouldn't recommend paying for it.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I’m using the older Made for iPod feature on a discontinued Retrosound I got cheap on closeout. I’m using Tune In Radio streaming and my collection of old man music on the phone. Back when they knew how to play and write music and we’d walk to school uphill, both ways, barefoot, in the snow...

·
Registered
889 Posts
My wife got me a portable Sirius radio (think ipod ish ) and a car kit a long time ago. So it has the same magnetic antenna . At that time they had a lifetime subscription available so I don't get those calls or emails.

Put it on the dash or parcel tray if you don't want it outside. I just use mine on long trips.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
you must have a poor quality radio. My Sirius home tuner sounds awesome through a pair of these speakers. I'm sirius.

View attachment 759282
Incorrect. A poor quality radio will mask a poor quality signal more than a system that plays a high quality sound. I have Focal components, Focal coaxial, SA subs going through a audiocontrol d6.1200 with a full 30 band DSP. Far from anything poor quality there. Sirius sound quality sucks and it’s pretty well known. You can switch the quality to maximum, but they don’t even have a hi-res option, hence to less than good sound quality.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have a portable Sirius for the house and would hook it up in the 65Mustang. It has a custom auto sound radio and Infity speakers which sound like crap. However when I hook up the Satelite receiver, it sounds great. I leave the small antenna in the center front edge of the trunk on my fastback. The stations could be better. A Pandora or Spotify subscription would allow for more choices.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I'm a CD person. I don't even listen to the radio in my Explorer, and they offered 3 months of Sirius when I bought it. Was too much effort to activate it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I too had XM when it was "new". I recently even found my old set up with the TAPE DECK adapter (my 2000 Z71 had a CD and Tape deck) and tossed it all.

It was soooooooooooooooooo cool when it was new, and cheap, I think it was like $50/60/yr regular price. I recall getting some super deal and paying like $120/ 3yrs to include the internet access. I renewed the 3 year deal one more time, but by the time that was over I wasn't driving as much anymore and there was so many more options out there that are essentially free.

I would pass on it. Load up an Ipod or phone with all your favorite songs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts