1966 GT 4spd
1,358 Posts
Reactions: Sunlit68

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,358 Posts
Absolutely not to a stranger.

I don't, per se, have an issue with someone I know driving my car. However the line I have used is, if you wreck it, total it, because I don't want it back.

Chris

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
#UCK NO!!!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Yep in a heart beat!

Conditional though, somewhat similar as for top female fashion models.
Only I drive it, $10,000 an hour, four hour minimum, ten minute break every hour, complimentary food and beverages, name in the credits.

Reactions: Wayne clark

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have two friends that I allow to drive my Mustang and that’s it! Well my mechanic drives it too. I’ve seen that Hagerty service and just can’t wrap my head around it. No way in Hades I let some rando drive my car. Nope, no way, no how.
Can I be your third :) ?

I've thought about it. I'd have to have some pretty strict coverages and tons of waivers. I mean like guaranteed full coverage like my 2016 car. But there value of a classic is so vague and variable to insurance companies that is a tall order to fill.

Not sure Turo or anything like that would suffice. The thing I can't get over also is the liability. Carbs for example are fickle things. You get the right turn in the weather and stab it the right way and the wrong time you can end up very dead. So for some young guy who knows nothing of how carbs and old suspensions etc react....it's a liability to rent. Then you've got the spectacle of insurance. No way your ins or any Hagerty will cover it.

Turo for example has a blanket type policy I think through Liberty Mutual. I will bet you there are pretty strict rules and limitations and you'll have the fight over your life trying to prove a 50+ year old car was worth X amount of dollars. I do know that Turo has 2 or 3 levels of ins that the renter can buy or they can opt out. Not going to help you if a broke 25 yr old decides to drive it off a cliff and somehow survives and decide to cheap out on 80$ of insurance policy. Plus if they opted out and didn't survive....you're definitely not covered.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We had an outfit in our city that supplied old cars to the movie industry filming on the East coast and Midwest. If you rented to them you were on your own damage-wise. Don't believe any normal insurance covers renting and most never thought about extra insurance to cover renting. Nearly every car had some issue of dents or scratches. One car was "painted" with some dirt-looking paint that was supposed to be removable. Owners were excited to have their cars in a movie until they saw the condition it was returned. Even then, they had to really look hard to see the five seconds it was filmed! Never got caught-up in letting them use any of my cars even though I was good friends with the guy who owned the rental company.

·
I won a special award
8,116 Posts
Right! I got to watch them film that scene. The street was lined with 70’s & 80’s cars. The soapbox derby car was operated by remote control. They lost control of it, and it sideswiped a 70’s caddy. Owner was not happy. Took all day to film that one scene.
Actually I was referring to the scene where Ted drives Mark Wahlberg's character to work at the car rental agency.

·
Registered
See my 1967 parts needs in my signature below!
832 Posts
Did you follow him around, while he had it? :p
No, but I swear there was a small scuff on the front bumper that was never there before. Not a big deal, but I always questioned my decision to do that. I was just trying to return the favor from my high school prom when my neighbor let me use his Saab 900 turbo back in the day. I kind of always felt like I should pay it forward. Plus this kid was in my church's young men's (youth) group and I was his leader at the time. His parents later told me how much he looked up to me, so that was pretty neat. I'm glad I could support him, if only in a small way.

Last year another neighbor asked if they could borrow the convertible for a COVID-19 drive-by graduation parade. Hard no! However, I did offer to drive for them (which never happened).

Reactions: gwstang

·
Registered
66 Inline 6 (AC/PS/Auto)
112 Posts
No.
1. It’s not theirs & no vested interest to curtail obnoxious behavior.
2. No guarantee they can/will pay for damage. Claims court will probably wear one out.
3. Younger generation does not necessarily understand 50+ year old equipment & the possible delicat-ness of it.
4. I don’t trust a stranger.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Can I be your third :) ?
You’ll have to pass the test first!

We had an outfit in our city that supplied old cars to the movie industry filming on the East coast and Midwest. If you rented to them you were on your own damage-wise. Don't believe any normal insurance covers renting and most never thought about extra insurance to cover renting. Nearly every car had some issue of dents or scratches. One car was "painted" with some dirt-looking paint that was supposed to be removable. Owners were excited to have their cars in a movie until they saw the condition it was returned. Even then, they had to really look hard to see the five seconds it was filmed! Never got caught-up in letting them use any of my cars even though I was good friends with the guy who owned the rental company.
Kevin Costner is shooting a movie about the Watergate break-in in DC right now and they were asking for period cars. I was sent an email, but one of the requirements was that you had to join the union. Wasn’t worth all that.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible, 5.0HO EFI, AOD
621 Posts
I had not considered it but it does sound interesting. It would be incredible to own a classic car that pays for itself, and mods and maintenance are tax deductible. Mine is probably not nice enough and even after cleaning it up a modded mustang might attract wrong type of client.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Only if I am also hired as the chauffeur. In the last 10 years, only three people have driven my Mustang, and I was in the passenger seat each time.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Clear and Present Danger
LOL...liked when Harrison Ford wrote him out a million dollar check and the guy asks for and ID and he pulls out Deputy Director of the CIA business card.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nah, but there is a company not too far away that does rent them.

It would be incredible to own a classic car that pays for itself, and mods and maintenance are tax deductible.
At $275 for the day it would have a LOT of strange butts in the seat before you saw any benefits.
My car runs and drives without issue, and I feel comfortable with its ability to satisfy a renter but as has been said before, people used to the driver disconnect of modern cars may be in over their heads as an operator. My brother was driving my car when it got hit, and sort of fortunate I was the passenger so I knew what happened and why, but I still laid down in the street afterwards and pretended to cry. A stranger driving without me present I would want to beat senseless if they brought it back crashed regardless of fault. My car now has repro junk in lieu of all original parts and that one day will last forever. $275? N0

41 - 60 of 76 Posts