Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I've been single handedly running the "Church of the AOD-E/4R70W" here on VMF for months. At my last tally (let me count again to be sure...yep I was right...), I have exactly ONE convert :eek:

I know several of you have perused my Project Overdrive Page, and have no doubt noticed that there's a lot of crap you've got to fabricate to put an AOD-E in a vintage mustang because no one makes it.

One of the more difficult tasks is fabricating a good reliable system to mount and actuate a Throttle Postion Sensor (TPS) on a carbureted engine. So, I was pleased to find a piece called "acculink" which is (get this) a simple kit to mount a Throttle Postition sensor to about any Carburetor.

Here is a picture from the Compushift website, who build the Acculink kit.
http://www.compushift.com/images/acculink.jpg .

I'm proud of my solution to the same problem shown here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~1_65pony/Dsc00403.jpg

BUT...I like theirs better. It's simpler. It's cleaner. And it should be much easier to come by. My TPS mount started off as a Throttle Body on an '86 Fiero. Not something you really come across every day.

Now here's the part of the Compushift Acculink kit that gripes me to no end. Compushift won't sell me the kit. They say that since I bought a Baumann Transmission Control System rather than their Compushift model, that they WILL NOT SELL ME their Acculink Throttle Position Sensor Refit Kit for ANY amount of money.

What a business model! Let's build a better mousetrap and then refuse to sell it. Meanwhile, Greg at Baumann Engineering took phone call after phone call from me and gave me all kinds of help on my project...even though I had NEVER bought one thing from them. I bought my Baumann Box used from another VMFer. That contrast tells me I wouldn't have any other TCS than the one I have.

Anyway I'm almost done ranting.

On an unrelated note...we had a discussion last week on bolt specs. I was putting together a piece of excersise equipment today that made reference to 1/4" X 16mm screws.

Now there's a SCREWY SPEC!

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
I have yet to but the Baumann trans control kit for my car with the 4R70W. Is it easy to work with? Do you like it? I talked to Greg also, he seems to be a great guy to deal with. Did you also go with a different stall and a shift kit? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
1966 'A' code GT fastback. Ivy Green Metallic. 327ci. Not terribly stock anymore.
11,716 Posts
That sounds like a pretty bad business practice (the acculink folk). I have found that the only thing that travels the internet faster than good news is bad news. Bad business practices have a way of coming back to haunt a person.

Goodness knows I have done a lot of business with people that have not been exemplary, but then again, I have never done repeat business with any of them. Yet I have done a ton of business with vendors that have done good by me.

Go figure...

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 4R70W's great. Read my page shown in the link above if you haven't yet.

Since then I have started on the second phase of the project. I installed a Baumann Recal Pro shift kit in the 4R70W along with a B&M transcooler. I ALSO installed a 3.55 posi to give some more grunt out back.

One thing I like to point out is that by going from a 2.80 to a 3.55 AND going from a 2.40 1st gear to a 2.84...I have 50% more torque than before at any given RPM...and since the engine revs up faster I probably have more like 70% more torque at any given TIME (if that makes any sense).

I have the stock '98 V6 mustang T/C that came with the tranny. I haven't test driven it since installing the shift kit...so I can't really comment on the combination yet. Prior to the shift kit...everything was way too loose during WOT operation. I have high hopes that the Recal Pro kit set to "3" will take care of that.

Good luck with it. I had a blast doing mine.

Phil

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm planning on using an AODE in the newest 65 falcon. I'm going with a 351C and an EFIed hilborn intake. when I get all the parts together I'm hoping you will be willing to give me a few pointers and let me check out your stang to see how it all should fit. :: probably won't get to it until after labor day though :( too many other projects in line for the garage.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Phil -

I would've converted to the AOD-E, but in my search for free hp/torque, I couldn't pass up the reductions offered by a manual transmission. Otherwise, I would've gone the Baumann way.

Their website is extensive and offers a gold-mine of information.

BTW, I like your solution better - the ingenuity you show far surpasses those of Accu-link.

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anytime you need to look at it feel free.

It'll be on jackstands for at least another month which would make it even easier.

What year AOD-E did you get?

Phil

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree 100% with your choice of a manual tranny. I thought about this long and hard for my car, because that was my first instinct as well...and it's what I would do on almost any other car.

However...my "vision" for my car is to keep all the bells and whistles it came with and expand on them as possible. My car had a lot of "luxery" options on it (power brakes, power steering, automatic tranny) from the factory...and I just wanted to keep all of that as I built it up.

That and the fact that my left knee gives me a lot of pain after driving with a clutch due to an old waterskiing injury led me to stay with an automatic. My idea for my next project (if I live that long) will include a manual. I'll just take along a big bottle of Advil in the glove compartment :D

Phil

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
its supposed to be from a 95 F150 2wd pickup. thanks Phil, I appreciate it. and I'm here for ya any time ya need a hand, a tool or a part if I have it ::(I have a barn full of jun, er gold heh yeah yeah thats it yeah ;))

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Ahh metric hardware - every mechanical engineer's nightmare! I've used power supplies from Lambda that use 10mm screws to mount them to a heatsink / base plate. It was really fun dealing with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.