Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bone stock 65 including paint. Needs TOTAL restoration, but still makes a "decent" driver. Lot's of family history with this car.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/413000-413999/413037_4_full.jpg

[pollstart]
[polltitle=Would you Change from 200 to a 5.0?]
[polloption=If yes would you also go the Fuel Injected Route??]

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to address this.

·
Registered
35,922 Posts
Nope. I'd look for a V8 car first. However, I think I WOULD restore this into a nice reliable sixer.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Agreed. I would restore it as original or find a V8 car to play with. Most of the time, it's more cost beneficial to find a V8 car than to do the conversion.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Its your car, do what you think or like. Remember, it costs more to restore a car than it would to buy one already done. If this car has family history I doubt I would modify it too much as it would detract from the memories...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I agree with Ray.
Keep it as is /or was.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's a nice driver as is, great thing about it is you can restore as is, and mod later.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow... Lot's of posts to leave it alone! I must admit though... if the car if left alone I would recken it will sit perhaps another 30 or more years. For one reason or another i just can't get it "up" :eek: to restore a 200 cid I6 powered car! Oh 1 more tid bit, it must be "easy" to say leave it alone when everyone posted awesome pics of V8 powered cars!!! ;)
Just kidding guys! Those are some great rides. I do have a V8 powered car, just not a mustang mind you!
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/413000-413999/413037_1_full.jpg

Are Torinos Welcome? ::

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Torinos are cool! I'm partial to the '69/'70's fastback (sportroof?) - reminds me of Madmax, the Pursuit cars, not the Black Intercepter.

I guess it boils down to how much work do you want to do? I'm currently building up a six and slapping in a V8 suspension only because I have a bunch of left over V8
parts and wanted bigger brakes.

For I6 hot rodding ideas, head over to http://www.Fordsix.com

Check out the 200 I6 with the Australian cross flow alloy head! It's experimental mind you, but if it works, a bunch of us will be grabbing cross flow heads...

What ever you do, have fun!

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Thats a nice torino you have.....thats my favorite body style (along with the later Starsky and Hutch cars!!)

·
Registered
286 Posts
That car looks like a great start. I would restore it back to original and find a V8 car later down the road.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would leave it. Lots of V8 cars, but few hot rodded 6's. I would love to find a 65 or 66 FB with a 6. Oh and I hope that Torinos are welcome. Mine is the only finished car I have, although the body work on SWMBO's coupe is almost done.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also have a 65 6cyl.coupe. I am going to restore it just as it is. while at the same time working toward a v-8. its up to you but in its condition it would be better like it is with a restoration.if you really would rather have a v-8 sell the 6 and see what you can get in a v-8 car for the same money.

Rick

·
Registered
288 Posts
it must be "easy" to say leave it alone when everyone posted awesome pics of V8 powered cars!!!
My convertible is a 6cyl automatic, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 200 6 cylinders are very reliable and reasonable gas efficient cars. If you want a v8 you should locate one that started life that way. A changeover would require much more than just changing the engine a transmission. You would have to replace the entire drivetrain, including front and rear suspensions.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I like the sixes. They are plentiful, and a lot more fun than many mustangers give them credit for....

As long as you don't pour tons of money into a "total restoration" (as prices for sixers don't justify it), because of the family history I'd say YES. Get the car solid, and enjoy it as is. Dickson

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Leave it alone and keep it stock. I have two cars with I6 and they are both stock and run great. If you go to show the real Mustang enthusiast will stop and look. You just don't see too many I6's completely restored. Everyone for some reason wants a V8 to make up for something they are missing. Keep it stock or let me know and maybe we can work out a deal.

Good luck and have fun with what ever you do with it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
hey sixes are cool... you don't have to lay under the car to change the starter! They are like little sewing machines and are very quiet, but very durable. I had a 170 in a 64 falcon and it was great...(now the 3 speed manual was another story....) Keep it a six and get ANOTHER mustang, you can't have too many.

My first car was a 73 Gran Torino Sport...the car is gone...but the motor is still in my garage waiting for its' next home. I am always looking at mustangs on THAT SITE...but often find myself in the torino section. I will have another one of them...someday.... so Torino's a mighty fine in my book!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
hey sixes are cool... you don't have to lay under the car to change the starter! They are like little sewing machines and are very quiet, but very durable. I had a 170 in a 64 falcon and it was great...(now the 3 speed manual was another story....) Keep it a six and get ANOTHER mustang, you can't have too many.

My first car was a 73 Gran Torino Sport...the car is gone...but the motor is still in my garage waiting for its' next home. I am always looking at mustangs on THAT SITE...but often find myself in the torino section. I will have another one of them...someday.... so Torino's are mighty fine in my book!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts