have a N/A 331 stroker with FiTech
have a supercharged 289/306 with FiTech

both full roller with TW heads

just day dreaming...for now

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

For a DD I'd pick the 289 with the blower.
to thank back in the day that the bottle was the only pre-surgery choice...

reason for the blown 289 being?

cool factor
unique factor
reliability

wife has a supercharged audi a6 3.0L direct port injection that is a pure pleasure to drive. With nothing more than a tune that car if just flat out fun!! and around 366 AWHP 337 AWTQ...best part is the 32 MPG on the highway and 24 around town

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year Mustang are you considering these engines choices for?
it's a 68 coupe...like most, i am sure my what i want has changed 20 times.

i always come back to a N/A 331 with FiTech. I can build a supercharged 289 for roughly same cost since i have pretty fresh 289 bottom end.

my car is set up for either, new street strip c4 with 2500 stall (rated for 600 Hp) 3.40 gears with true-trac. 4.5 mid eye's will be next along with a front suspension rebuild with open track stage 2 and front disc conversation. All the above will be done before any new motor goes in.

I figured a retro supercharged with FiTech should be easy to tune, reliable, a blast to drive and really really cool. It has to be pure pleasure when the boost hits.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Stroker. I'm assuming you're talking about a paxton style blower.

They're cool, make great power, but EVERYONE I know around here has difficulty tuning them. Now, before someone jumps in and says something, there is without a doubt some difficulty when tuning a blow through application, especially in a carb enclosure. No one can deny that.

The stroker is stupid simple and will be reliable as there is one (or 10) less things to go wrong.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

They're cool, make great power, but EVERYONE I know around here has difficulty tuning them. Now, before someone jumps in and says something, there is without a doubt some difficulty when tuning a blow through application, especially in a carb enclosure. No one can deny that.

The stroker is stupid simple and will be reliable as there is one (or 10) less things to go wrong.
yes the paxton blow through, from what i understand most of tuning issues are carb/enclosure related. FiTech should solve that along with the self tuning capability.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I've read up a little....curiosity ya know. I would want to retain A/C so i would have to relocate the battery and I am ok with that.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Pretend I said the exact same thing just a little differently because I don't want to plagiarize.

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
to thank back in the day that the bottle was the only pre-surgery choice...

reason for the blown 289 being?

cool factor
unique factor
reliability

wife has a supercharged audi a6 3.0L direct port injection that is a pure pleasure to drive. With nothing more than a tune that car if just flat out fun!! and around 366 AWHP 337 AWTQ...best part is the 32 MPG on the highway and 24 around town
Reasons?

Small displacement = good fuel economy (when you're not "in it").
A bunch of go-fast parts not needed... heads, cams, stroker crank, rods, pistons, etc.
Reliability.
Blower whine.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Different car & blower, but I ran a kenne bell supercharged 306 in my first FFR Cobra.
300rwhp and 400rwtq with a conservative tune and stock iron heads. It was a blast to drive when you wanted to jump on it and easy to drive if you were taking it easy.

I'd go for the blower.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I have been thinking of going with the FiTech for my 68 Coupe DD with a 351W. The reason is I tired of messing with the carb with the [email protected] gas we now have.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

For a DD I'd pick the 289 with the blower.
Reasons?

Small displacement = good fuel economy (when you're not "in it").
A bunch of go-fast parts not needed... heads, cams, stroker crank, rods, pistons, etc.
Reliability.
Blower whine.
^^this^^ cant go wrong with this combination, well not too far wrong. and if you do decide to add in the go fast parts, beyond the blower, they only add to the overall power curve.

yes the paxton blow through, from what i understand most of tuning issues are carb/enclosure related. FiTech should solve that along with the self tuning capability.
yep, with the FIT tech EFI tuning is pretty simple these days.

P

·
0 Posts
I just don't see a good enough reason to build a stroker SB when a 351W is cheap and stone reliable.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
for a "daily driver" Auto, A/C etc

have a N/A 331 stroker with FiTech
have a supercharged 289/306 with FiTech

both full roller with TW heads

just day dreaming...for now
Trust me, I've gone through all the combos when the hot rod bug hit with our (then new) '93 Coupe and now playing with the Wife's '68 'Vert. If you build the 289/306 and go blown, you will soon think about how much fun it would of been if you stroked it and THEN gone blown. Performance is addictive and you have to accept a certain level of performance and be satisfied. Personally, if you can swing it,stroke it to 347 (NO reason to stay at 331 these days IMO), run it for a season (if you need to for $$ reasons and then add a blower. Although you could just do a 351 and stroke it to 408 and have similar power and then you will want to add a blower and then.........see what I mean about being addictive??

I'm going way off track here but I built a 347 (my first motor build). Love the motor but if I did it again, I would of stroked a 351 and I'll probably build that next once I find the time. i guess I really did not help but maybe gave you some options.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just don't see a good enough reason to build a stroker SB when a 351W is cheap and stone reliable.
I guess a few reasons, I wouldn't drop in a stock 351 and don't want to fight fitment issues with hood (high rise dual plan) and drop down bracket for headers etc once I start building the engine the way I would want. I will get shot for this but a 351 with custom cam/heads/fitech/headers etc etc will be more than I need for a street car. The 331 is a great middle road in my mind. Have 8" rear in the car.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trust me, I've gone through all the combos when the hot rod bug hit with our (then new) '93 Coupe and now playing with the Wife's '68 'Vert. If you build the 289/306 and go blown, you will soon think about how much fun it would of been if you stroked it and THEN gone blown. Performance is addictive and you have to accept a certain level of performance and be satisfied. Personally, if you can swing it,stroke it to 347 (NO reason to stay at 331 these days IMO), run it for a season (if you need to for $$ reasons and then add a blower. Although you could just do a 351 and stroke it to 408 and have similar power and then you will want to add a blower and then.........see what I mean about being addictive??

I'm going way off track here but I built a 347 (my first motor build). Love the motor but if I did it again, I would of stroked a 351 and I'll probably build that next once I find the time. i guess I really did not help but maybe gave you some options.
agree with all the above but i THINK i could live with and enjoy the 289/306 blown or the 331. 1st idea a long time ago was go BIG!! 408 with all the goodies, then came a 9" rear plan...and you know how it goes from there. I am not a 347 na-sayer and there is no specific reason but the simple fact that i like the small stroke/RPM potential in the 331. all things being equal 331/347 the power difference isn't much and honestly a well built 331 combo would be hard to put all the power down on the street in a 3,000 pound car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts