Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the background. Two years ago I bought a 1966 C-code convertible, I was a sophomore in high school at the time and a little naive. I started dissassembling the car before I even had my learners permit and I have never actually driven the car. I recently pulled the engine in order to undo an 8 to 6 swap (no typo, I said 8 to6!) and am working on upgrading the stock suspension with some sort of negative wedge kit and some progressive rate springs. Now the question...since I have the engine compartment gutted should I bite the bullet and buy a mig welder to work out the inner fender problems. The original plan was to leave them alone and just take the car in for quarters which it desperately needs. Now there is yet another catch. I will be moving in late June/early July and I am the caption of the varsity crew team. Would you recommend me trying to do the inner fenders and rockers/torque boxes alone or should I tow it in to have it done. (my dad really wants the garage clean before we move so he offered to lend me the funds). I'd also like to say thanks to Midlife for that hood he sold me way back when, the original hood had hood pin holes so I had a little fun with it. It now has some wild flames and a gaping hole with a makeshift scoop. (It will never see the light of day) Anyways TIA.

Also...any ideas as to what to do with this 6 banger. I would much rather put effort into dropping in an 8 than to put back that 6.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 66stangman on 03/22/01 02:23 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I don't know how much it would cost to farm out the inner rockers, torque boxes and floors, but I can tell you it's a lot of work. I did mine last fall. It's hard to stop in the middle of a restoration to move. However, I imagine the inner fender work has to be done before putting the engine back in. I guess it all comes down to the common problem "time or money". I know I don't have either.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts