Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Would you trade a 65' Hard top for a 65' 2+2?

• Yes.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • No.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Depends, I need more info.

Votes: 22 44.0%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· July 2022 ROTM Winner
65 A code rattle box
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario: You have a "good condition" 1965 hard top A code that runs and drives and is paid for in every way. A man knocks on your door and offers to trade you a non-running but rust free 1965 2+2 with no running gear, but everything else included for a straight across trade. Clean title, but needs paint and running gear. For the sake of this argument I am discounting the sentimental value of the car you own. Is that a close to even trade? Even accounting for currently inflated prices? If the answer is No, please explain in the comments.

· Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
1,113 Posts
As written above, and your goal or desire was and remains to own a 2+2 “rather than” a hard top, then my comment would be yes. Given prices it would most likely be a good swap. But thats said with “my feelings” towards the pending 2+2 build and desire/ability to drop that much more $$ and time into getting it roadworthy etc.

· Registered
407 Posts
Depends on which car gets you to what you really want.

Reactions: OneTireFire

· Registered
5,038 Posts
Nope. Is the A-code a true GT? Would the fastback be worth more restored? Yes indeed, but you are going to be in the car 20k to get it there(plus time)...at which point it is even, but it still seems like a bad deal unless you are looking for another project. Of course...I am the wrong person to ask, I have nothing against fastbacks...but I don't see them as any more attractive than coupes.

· Registered
4,397 Posts
If the fastback is a total project car, the answer is no, I would not tade a nice coupe for it. If the fastback could be a fun driver with drive train and suspension work, then maybe I would.

That trade is probably a downgrade.. Really need to see pictures of both though. And what all parts does it actually come with and what is their condition?

It also depends on sentimental attachment to the coupe or really any car that might get traded for another. Since my 65 was my first car and my Dad and I built it, I will not be trading it for any other car.

· Registered
2,272 Posts
Not with that scenario....you could probably sell your hardtop and buy a complete running fastback for less than you'd have to put into the one offered for trade (factoring in a fair value for your hardtop). Paint alone is gonna run you $15-20k unless it's the straightest project fastback on the planet.

· Registered
3,515 Posts
Well if you already have the parts on hand....it's a no brainer...I'd swap in a second-clear title for clear title. I can find another coupe all day long...not so with a FB. I have the parts on hand and can find anything else I may need. I've got a coupe driver ready to go!

· Registered
838 Posts
It really depends on the condition of your car as well as the condition of the fastback as I wouldn't want to trade a coupe that's worth potentially double the price of the fastback. Especially when the fastback needs paint, a drivetrain and so forth as that will only add considerable amounts of money to the equation. I think that fastbacks are always going to bring considerably more money than coupes will, when they're in similar condition to each other. I think some pictures, better descriptions and so forth would help determine potential dollar figures as to what each car might be worth. But if your car is worth say $15k-$20k and you trade straight across for the fastback then you've already got $15k-$20k into the car, then figure at least that for paint, and finally it depends on what you want to do for a drivetrain. You could still do it and be money ahead, but I think that it will be very close, and that the better idea might be to do a trade as well as have him give you a few bucks. Ultimately it depends on what your goals are as well as what your budget is, or if you don't care about being money ahead or if you honestly just don't care what it costs to do so. It seems like if you're posing the question that you're likely leaning in the direction of doing the trade, but I'd personally need to see the car in person and need a few more details about it. If it could be advantageous for you in any way then I'd absolutely do it.

· Registered
7,419 Posts
There is not a time in my 40 years of ownership that I would have made that trade.

At the time I bought my car I needed it as a driver.
As time went on I replaced much of my driveline, paint, interior and such and would have no desire to start over. At this time in my life, if I wanted a fastback I would buy one, not build it.

· Registered
311 Posts
Lot of variables to make a decision. But if the guy is really trying to make a deal and your interested. Maybe it would be worth a $5K sweetener coming your way to make it happen. Nothing gained nothing lost. Fastbacks do appreciate in price at a higher rate than coupes.

· Registered
3,010 Posts
I love the fastbacks, so I'm biased.
If the 2+2 really only needs an engine (and trans) to be equal to the coupe, the answer is yes. Depending on what you're after, a 5.0 Explorer transplant would cost much less than the increase in value.
Plus, how long would it take you to get the 2+2 up to the same condition/drivability as your coupe?
If the 2+2 has many unknowns - is it really rust free, is the interior good, are the brake and suspension parts all there and in good condition? - I'd pass. The bird in the hand ...

· Registered
3,195 Posts
Get this, a 2x2 is not the holy grail of Mustangs that a lot of the people who own them think they are.
Although not the OP question, no way in this world I’d trade my convertible for a 2x2.

· Registered
1,164 Posts
If that 2+2 is rust free, and only needs an engine & transition, and had all the other interior and bits in decent condition, i'd lean towards yes considering I'm game for another project. If the 2+2 is a K code, its definitely a trade. Even an A code 2+2 would be a yes, especially if it had a 4-speed transmission. So, more info on the fastback before I would commit to the trade.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
To me, if its truly a rust free FB and has everything but paint/drive train (everything means no missing pieces make sure you do an inspection for parts can add up quick) . Is it an A code or C code?. Think of how much could you sell your coupe? 22k more or less? Have you looked a fastbacks in that range? - If you want a project and desire a fastback I say go for it. A similar situation happen to my brother. He had a coupe (nice everything was done) and a local guy who specialized in selling ford parts offered a 1965 fastback in epoxy (beatiful body) and what was maybe about 7500 worth of credit in parts in exchange. I would have done the deal but my brother after adding up the parts and labor - it was too much to do the deal for him.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

· July 2022 ROTM Winner
65 A code rattle box
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the replies! Many valid points and considerations. Much like tx65Coupe I restored my Hard top with my father as a teenager and have since made too many memories to trade her. Although I was more focused on the value of things monetarily, the sentimental value of my car far exceeds those. What made me post this specific scenario are two separate offers that have happened to me and I sort of put them together to see if the math would even out based on all of your experiences. I do eventually want a 2+2, but not at the cost of my Hard top.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts