Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Would you trade a 65' Hard top for a 65' 2+2?

• Yes.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • No.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Depends, I need more info.

Votes: 22 44.0%

Would you trade a hard top for a 2+2? (Please read scenario inside)

1234 Views 42 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  GradyStang
Here's the scenario: You have a "good condition" 1965 hard top A code that runs and drives and is paid for in every way. A man knocks on your door and offers to trade you a non-running but rust free 1965 2+2 with no running gear, but everything else included for a straight across trade. Clean title, but needs paint and running gear. For the sake of this argument I am discounting the sentimental value of the car you own. Is that a close to even trade? Even accounting for currently inflated prices? If the answer is No, please explain in the comments.
Reactions: gwstang
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Nope. I would just keep my coupe because, 1,it runs good, I can jump in and go.& 2, if I swapped cars not only installing a drivetrain, I’d have to get it inspected,tagged,& insured.(limited funds)
3, I‘m too lazy to go through all that stuff!

· Registered
1966 289 3-speed
2,773 Posts
Thank you all for the replies! Many valid points and considerations. Much like tx65Coupe I restored my Hard top with my father as a teenager and have since made too many memories to trade her. Although I was more focused on the value of things monetarily, the sentimental value of my car far exceeds those. What made me post this specific scenario are to separate offers that have happened to me and I sort of put them together to see if the math would even out based on all of your experiences. I do eventually want a 2+2, but not at the cost of my Hard top.
Nose Beard Jaw Ear Eyelash

· Dimples
7,870 Posts
I did something similar back in the day when I sold my “needs nothing” driver 65 6cyl coupe ($3,350) to buy my V8 66 Fastback ($5,500). Main difference being the 66 had presentable (but not great) paint and a running (but slow) 289/C4. I considered that one a no-brainer, and over time ended up completely rebuilding the fastback.

In today’s math with the details of of this hypothetical, this is tougher. Paint is expensive no matter how you do it. These days a nice driver V8 coupe is with over $20k, and if you’re lucky a no-paint roller fastback is not. High-teens maybe, but shouldn’t be over $20k. Ultimately you’d be better off selling/buying outright and skipping the $20-30k in parts and labor (doing most of it yourself) to end up with a $40k fastback.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
I wouldn't trade. If a shook the couch and found a spare $30k, I'd look for a good deal on an original FB but, not finding one, would seriously consider getting a Dynacorn shell plus a donor C code in dying condition.

· Premium Member
15,541 Posts
Another aspect:

how long is it going to take you to get the fastback running ? Months ? Years ?

good paint shops are in high demand, so long wait there too unless you are doing the paint work too.

If you are 20, then missing out on a year or so of seat time doesn’t sound so bad. When you are 60+, then it’s more of a crapshoot how many driving seasons you have left. Don’t want to miss one while the car is in pieces.

Z

· Registered
177 Posts
No,
If you want to do this, sell your coupe and buy the fastback you really want.
The price does not add up to the extra work and money required.

There are exceptions... K code or A code, 4 speed, rare color or interior, how much time you have on your hands, and how mechanical are you... but in general it is not worth it.

· Registered
1968 FB 289 XE268 cam 750 cfm C-5 3.55
32 Posts
I had a ‘70 coupe with a 250 cu in 6 cylinder in high school. All I dreamed about was a fastback and 8 cylinders. No way I would turn down a fastback. I would take a 6 cylinder fastback over an 8 cylinder coupe. Maybe not a big block coupe with 4 speed.

As mentioned before at this point in my life I would just get the restored car of my choice.

If I might ramble: I Will one day trade my 68 fastback for a 70 fastback. That day will come.

· Registered
1966 C Code Coupe / 1970 Mach 1 351C
552 Posts
I do agree with some that said they like the looks of a coupe more than a pre-69 fastback. However - if your in it for ultimate value - probably the fastback will appreciate more than a coupe, but with the sentimental value attached, possible lack of driving time with the restoration, etc. I would probably stay with what you have.

Or you could do like me - keep the coupe and buy the fastback!

· Registered
1,934 Posts
Interesting thread. I've considered trading my 2+2 for a finished 4sp coupe.
Like Z said earlier, it kind of depends on where your at in life. I've got other cars that I'll be working on and at my age I'd like to transition into a maintenance mode, instead of a building mode.

· Registered
96GT, 86GT, 1964 1/2 Coupe D/C4
68 Posts
Growing up, we had/have a 70 fastback. So I was always a fan of them. But now that I own a 64.5 coupe, I wouldn't trade it straight up, especially without a drive train. Assuming both were in equal condition, and both drivable, its closer to piqueing my interest, but I probably wouldn't. As others have said, rust free just means you don't know where the rust is (yet).

· Registered
5,114 Posts
My vote was yes. Given the history of your coupe I would then say no. There could be too many variations that could cause me to swing either way. My current coupe build is highly modified and a project I started with my son so it would be hard to part with it. Knowing my son he would want the fastback.

· Premium Member
1965 Mustang Cp. Ford Laser Red. 351W stroked to a 427, Borla 8 stack injection system, VERY Custom.
1,285 Posts
Thank you all for the replies! Many valid points and considerations. Much like tx65Coupe I restored my Hard top with my father as a teenager and have since made too many memories to trade her. Although I was more focused on the value of things monetarily, the sentimental value of my car far exceeds those. What made me post this specific scenario are two separate offers that have happened to me and I sort of put them together to see if the math would even out based on all of your experiences. I do eventually want a 2+2, but not at the cost of my Hard top.
Based on your scenario I said yes. However, my situation is VERY much like yours. My dad loaned me the money to buy my hardtop back in 1989. In 2020 I spent 2 years rebuilding my car to a level I will never see the money back that I put into it. But, that doesn't matter because of my sentimental value and desire to have this car where it is today. So, I would NEVER sell or trade it.

I too like the fastbacks and would love to own one, but not at the expense of my coupe.

However, in your scenario I said yes because I have the ability to do all the work myself. If I had a regular hardtop that was a basic running car and no sentimental value I would make that trade all day long. Then I would build the fastback to the level I did my hardtop and have something that would be worth significantly more than my basic running hardtop that was traded for the fastback. But in your scenario it is purely looked at from a financial point of view. I think in the real world, like yours and my situation, it's not a simple decision due to many other factors.

· Registered
631 Posts
I love fastbacks.
I would think you would have to put another 15k to get where you want it.
I would sell my coupe, put another 15k-20k with the proceeds and buy a well running fastback .

Good luck

Reactions: OneTireFire
21 - 40 of 43 Posts