Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not saying that I know anything because I do not... Just saw a new retro looking T-bird and it is sweet. Makes me wonder, if Ford did this type of thing with the Mustang, would you want one???

jim

68 California Special- Acapulco Blue- Will someone please sell me one Marchal fog lamp lense?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Retro-cars have had a way of becoming expensive, hard to get boutique cars for rich guys. The PT cruiser, the Prowler, the Viper, the new T-bird.....Just try to buy one for sticker.

If they made a retro-Mustang, it would have to be in enough volume and at a low enough price to keep the current customer base. If it turns out to be a limited edition $40,000 car, forget it. That would be the death of the Mustang.

Frankly, I think the Mustang is already evolving down a dead end road with IRS, all sorts of gizmos, limited option selection, etc. That's what ultimately killed the Nissan 300ZX and the Mazda RX7 - too sophisticated and too expensive to support a reasonable sales volume.

I really would like to see a very basic car, with a list of options that would allow you to put together anything from a basic grocery getter 6 cyl, to a fire breathing Cobra, with several steps between. Why does every V8 have to be a GT? Whatever happened to the idea of a more subtle LX style model? That was the appeal of the original Mustang. It appealed to such a broad spectrum of buyers.

Jack Collins
1966 Mustang Coupe
250 Aussie Crossflow / T-5

Visit the Mustang Six Website!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they've already tried. I saw the Bullit edition Mustang at the NAIAS in Detroit this year. The newest Mustang has alot of retro styling facets as is, like the door coves, the three sectioned taillights, and more recently the wannabe torq thrust rims. However I still wouldn't buy one at this point. It's missing something that I can't put my finger on. Maybe a long and low Boss 302 Trans AM throwback would do it for me.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Jim, I think they should revert to the old body styles and keep the modern running gear and safety features.. Look at the how well cars like the PT cruiser, New Beetle, and even the new thunderbird are recieved. The problem is that the current mustang is supposed to be a retro look. Remember when the latest generation of stangs came out? They added the cockpit of the 69's the side scoops of the older cars, the old pony up front, and even the horizontal tail lights, and so on...
Its just the way it's done... Have you seen what the new Dodge Charger is supposed to look like? If they did a new Mustang with the same aggressive styling and retro look I think I'd think about it. In fact if it looked as good as the Charger then I'd go buy one for sure!

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think a retro Mach would do it for me ... the real problem (and I've had trouble putting my finger to it as well) is they are missing the "attitude" of the big open grill that angle inwards instead of out. I would like the current stang design, with a more retro butt and rear lights, and a grill like the 67-69 style (modernized of course <G>) ... THAT would rock ... and btw, whats with these tiny seats? Cripes get something ppl can fit into that are'nt 5'2 and 20 lbs ... sheesh ... I'm 6'3 and find that the new stangs do not have enough headroom at all ...

------------------------------
1969 Mach 1
1976 Cobra II
------------------------------

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
No thank you. My project is what I like.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The problem with the new stangs is basic body shape. Sure, they've gone back to vintage style emblems, scoops etc, but the body looks bulky compared to our lean classics. If they flattened the entire body a bit (while retaining the roominess of our classics), made the hood longer and lower, turned the back into either classic coupe style (kind of chopped and low), or full fastback all the way, went to a more agressive reverse sloped grill, then they might be on the right track. It takes a lot more than sticking retro glitter on a new body to create a classic!

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't be interested.... I like the attitude of the early cars, the fact you can actually open the hood & work on them with simple tools, and the entry cost. I like the hobby of these cars -- not just the looks. Besides, a new one would only be built as a replacement to the current mustang. (they're already in that segment -- no reason to cannibalize their existing mustang market space) I don't think Ford would want to take the chance on a mustang design that was so retro that fuel economy, drag, etc. would be compromised. It's clear that Ford has taken a very conservative approach with Mustang styling by only adding what amounts to exterior trim pieces.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't think ford could get away with replacing the curent Stang line-up with more retro models but I definitely think there is room for a "2003 Mach 1" or "2003 Boss 351" or something like that.

The basic styling of the 69-70 sportsroofs would lend themselves very nicely to a more modern guise IMHO. They could even be based on the current mustang platform.

Maybe once this retro craze dies down a little bit we won't see cars going for MSRP+$5000. I'd hate to see Ford's cool styling and engineering going to fattening dealer's pockets at the expense of true enthusiasts.

Yeah, a 2003 Mach - where do I put down a deposit?

-Aaron

Did you know that 65-70 Mustangs have a design deficiency that may result in fuel entering the passenger compartment during a rear-end collision? Send me a private message for info and potential fixes.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think there are many new cars out there that look cool. But there is something about an old car, any old car. Metal dashes, etc. Heck, any metal at all! The smell. The ease of garage repairing your own car. The mutual respect you have for the owner because you know the effort that went into their car. Their unique!

I think kit cars would be more appealing than retro cars. They look old (sort of), they're unique, they're usually owner built, but they have a lot of updated safety and performance built into them. I hope my next project to be a cobra.

Brian

65 fastback, 67 fastback (under const.), 98 Durango, 93 caravan (Wife's), 12.5hp Bolens lawn tractor WITH cupholder!

·
6,972 Posts
I don't think I would buy one, but I think there is a market for a retro convertible with some modern aspects. I'm picturing a car that looks like a 65/66 mustang convertible, but has modern power disk brakes, gets 25 MPG and has good performance.

It seems to me that one of the huge untapped assets of all U.S. car companies are their old designs. I mean Disney repackages a 40 year old cartoon and puts it on DVD and makes a fortune. The car companies could do the same thing with their older car designs. The problem is the current paradigim for building cars on huge assembly lines. What someone needs to do is build a skunk works that can utilize flexible manufacturing techinques to build low volume, mid-priced cars for niche markets.

I've got an idea. Let's rent a hanger in Los Angeles and get 5 or 6 hundred cars from a major car manufacturer and hop 'em up a little and sell 'em back through their dealers. We'll call it the GT350! Oh darn.....Wait. I think that's already been done.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Only if they strap some balls to it in the process... As much as I hate to admit it, if I was buying a new pony car it would be an F-Body, the Mustang has become a little of a secretary car, I know more girls that drive late model stangs than guys. When Ford builds a Mustang that will hunt down and pass a GM, I'll look at one, but until that day I gotta go w/ what has the biggest cojones.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've been thinking about asking this question myself. I would certainly be interested in a Mustang that looked like a 65-68 car, but build with all the modern engineering, materials and safety features available today

Randy (Learning as I go)
67 coupe, I6/200, and a C4
http://home.att.net/~wr.moore/LeftRear1.jpg

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would buy a retro Mustang as long at the classic body style was retained. Let's see: modern seats and safety features, largest front disc brakes available, wheel options (15", 16" and 17"), rack and pinion steering, 5.0 EFI for emissions control etc. It should not cost more than $20K. (LOL!)

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

67 GTA (clone) coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Wasn't the Mustang II, fords attempt in the mid 70's to bring back the style of the early mustangs. And we all know how that turned out.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was never sure if the mustang II was an attempt to bring back the 60's style or an attempt to make pintos look sporty. My first car was a 77 mustang II with stock 302, I bought in 1986 and loved it during high school. But I sure thing it was a disaster now.

66 Candyapple Red Fastback 200 I6
Needs interior, paint and maybe some Clifford Performance goodies

1 - 18 of 18 Posts