Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it was going to be expensive but some of these guys are out of their minds! I took the car around to a few shops, and my prices ranged from 1400- at least 10,000! 1400 isn't too terrible, but that was the last shop I went to. Then I need a paint job, oh no!

G

·
0 Posts
Its all in the labor. The materials are almost nothing in comparison. Figure out if there is a part of the job you can do if your time has less value to you than their time. See if you can do part of the stripping, sanding and such.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Depends on the work involved...I've never paid for body work, just for paint, preferring to take responsibility for the body myself.

Here in CA, with all the regs body shops have to follow, it's no wonder they're expensive...
We recently had a minor dent removed from the front femder corner of my wife's Acura, along with replacement of the upper front bumper (it had a little crack around a headlight). Cost for parts and paint blending? 1300.00...paid for by the Suburban driver who backed into her..

IMO, unless it's covered by insurance, body and paint are one investment which can never be recouped (on resale). Personally, I'm quite satisfied with the 200.00 paint job the PO had Mastercraft put on the D-coder...the car looks great from 10ft and the paint has lasted well over the last 9 years of my ownership..

I don't know your situation, but, if I had a driver, I'd just do the body work (to make sure it met my expectations) and take it to a shop which does decent quality, low cost paint jobs..

BTW, I have done an entire job myself....see the race car for details...much more complex job than a street car, including stripping the paint to bare metal and doing lead and fiberglass work...time consuming but rewarding *G*

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
When you get "old and fat" you may be able to afford to pay for quality work. Until then just do it yourself, but since you prefer to be "young and stupid" you'll probably get taken!
Do it youself and get the experience.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
When you get "old and fat" you may be able to afford to pay for quality work. Until then just do it yourself, but since you prefer to be "young and stupid" you'll probably get taken!

hehehe...didn't notice that in his sig line...another definition of "OF"...gotta add that one to the lingo page...

Kids!! *G*

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I guess I deserved that! And I never saw it coming either! I guess that has smething to do with being young and stupid. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif More on-topic, I would love to do my own body work, and I did buy myeslf a nice wire-feed welder. However, pretty, my welding isn't. I could probably do the door skins myself and, I will put the new fenders on (thats just bolts), but rear qtr panels kinda frighten me. Some good thoughts though. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Don't be shy. Time and patience. You could even find a Vocational Technical school nearby and take a body class. Or a welding class... or both! What are you afraid of anyway?
You own the car, now make it YOURS by doing it yourself!
Come on in the waters fine!
And take it easy on use more experienced folk, you punk brat kid you! (Ok I'm only 40. Not really that old. But I can afford to have someone else do the body work, I choose to do it myself!!! Come hell or high water!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts