Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I converted my washer resevoir to a coolant tank (thanks robbie). I did it fairly easily without out thinking myself. A marine plug, a 1 inch piece of small tube, and a good washing later, I had an overflow tank. I found a marine plug to plug the hole where the motor used to be, and a small piece of hose to adapt the larger over flow hose to the outlet on the bottom of the tank. Time invested... 15 minutes. Money invested... $4.01 plus tax.

Now, my car isnt puking everywhere, and it seems to actually run COOLER. I knew there was an advantage, but I think we are talking around 15-20 degrees! Put it this way, normal cruise temp on a 95* day is the needle almost pegged on the stock gauge... its hovering around half now.

Is it a coincidence, or did the overflow help THAT much?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
No coincidence...you're keeping air out of the system by having the overflow tank with a hose at the bottom connected to the radiator...

Air sucks as a cooling medium..*G*

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coolness.. literally /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I wonder what would happen if I got rid of the 2" gap between my fan and the radiator... hmmm... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I have a small leak around the marine plug, but I will remedy that with a few more turns on the nut!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Good job Jim!
Don't you wish you had thought of that before CF2??????
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I know moving the fan about one inch or so away and installing a fan shround helped a lot with the cooling ability of the stock 2 row in the D-coder. I still run that stock radiator; gets a bit warm in the summer but nothing to worry about...

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has a shroud, but there is a whole lotta space between the fan and the radiator. I need to either get an electric or find me a taller spacer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just did the same thing to my car. It's a small tank, but I can see the difference already!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hey CV thats cool (pun intended) I used a tank on Shelly and ended the little overflow everytime I stopped and always having to add fluid stopped as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts