Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding... but geez, this is kinda cool... Maybe olddusty, you can make THIS into a clone..
77 Mustang 38K miles..

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I would love that car, just think, throw in a nice 347 stroker with a 5 speed and some wider rims, keep the hubcaps, that would be a killer sleeper.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I would love that car, just think, throw in a nice 347 stroker with a 5 speed and some wider rims, keep the hubcaps, that would be a killer sleeper.
Sure would.....just like a pinto (which it is), an EXP, opel GT, vega, Ad Nauseam......

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
giving the guy credit, that car is pretty clean

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I ordered a 1977 f100 shortbed 302, auto pickup at the dealership where I was working at the time. I don't remember even considering a new mustang-----that is how much they had killed them, the owners son ordered a loaded 78 fastback, 302, t-top ,aqua colored that actually was pretty nice, still not enough to make me buy one, I had my f100 customized and nearly got killed in it a month after buying it by a guy who ran a stop sign at night with headlights off---never saw him coming-----the pintang never grew on me!

·
Registered
913 Posts
My daughter just turned 16....hmmm. I wonder if he'll pay shipping.

Does anyone live in Santa Clara that could go look at it for me? I'd pay for your trouble.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Many things in life are wrong...

Ford calling that a Mustang was just plain wrong.

Yeah, it's clean, in good shape. It's even a nice car, but not a Mustang.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My ex father in-law used to tell a joke......

[Ex-father inlaw]
I told Stephanie (my first wife - D) I would buy her any car for her 16th birthday from the year she was born (1978 - D). Her answer "I want a mustang dad!" To my relief she didn't want a sports car.
[/Ex father in-law]

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Hey, wait a minute, I had a 72 Vega and after that I had a 82 EXP...I liked both those cars...Great MPG and with a bit of work the Vega was pretty quick. The EXP had some cool options like leather seats with sheepskin seat inserts and a sunroof. It looked like the silver model pictured on the Hot Rod magazine cover announcing the EXP. It got great MPG and was pretty fast.

Mel ::

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Way overpriced. A friend of mine just picked up a 77 302 auto car with 34K original miles for $1300. It has some surface rust on the trunk lid and doors, but very nice otherwise. For a Mustang II. ;)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Did anyone else notice that it's an "original miles" car???

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Uhhh...I hate to say this - not being a Mustang II fan myself - but this is very likely the car that made it possible for there STILL to be Mustangs today. I know a lot of you guys are too young to have been around when they were introduced, but have you ever look at the sales totals for the II's run? It made even '65-'66 look flabby. Without the "saviour" II, the downward spiral of the '71-'73 sales, which already had the Ford brass thinking about pulling the plug with the smog and insurance-induced death of the muscle car, the car might have just receded into history.
And let's face it, the car took the car back to its original roots of being small-ish, affordable, and economical, was (arguably) more refined, and certainly out-handled and out-steered its previous counterparts. This was a time of the oil embargo, in which people waited 1, 2, 3 hours in line for gas on a regular basis! Gas mileage was what the public needed, if not wanted.
Being that it was later available with the 302, there's no reason a more acceptable SB engine couldn't be swapped into one now and make a decent little buggy.
I've never really understood why these cars have perpetually gotten such a bad rap. Based on a Pinto? OK, the first Mustang was "based" on a lowly Falcon, but somehow everybody got over that. Underpowered? OK, but let's remember how many of the first Mustangs were sixes, and the biggest part of the II's problem was the onset of REAL smog controls, which were not its fault (during a time in which even a Corvette strolled along with only 150hp!).
As I said, I'm really no big fan of the car, but I'm not much of a fan of Chevys either, yet I can still appreciate a Vette or a vintage Camaro, Nova, Chevelle anyway.
As much as I hate to say it, its time to "give the II its due".

(soapbox now kicked back into the corner) ::

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Here Here, I for one think the Mustang II is a pretty nice little car, It was based on a pinto but doesn't resemble Pinto at all. There is very little that will interchange with a Pinto (65-66 will interchange with Falcon) they had quite a few problems with the Pinto chassis when they stretched it for the mustang, so they had to go back and redesign the whole thing. The 6 cylinder engine came from the Mercury Capri. even with a smogged 302 the car ran pretty good, I have one that is a 302 with a C4 and the "Hot rear" was a 2.79. how do you expect it to run with that combo in it? I am in the process of rebuilding one for my wife, it is a 78 with a V6. It will lose the V6 and get a 302, it will still have a C4 and the 3.42 gear that the V6 car came with. I figure if I get rid of the pollution controls the car will be twice as fast as it was when new. I will let all of you know how it runs when I finish it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts