Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I begin, I want to put a disclaimer on this story. EVERY WORD OF IT IS TRUE AND ACCURATE. I KICK MYSELF FOR NOT TAKING MY CAMERA.

I won an auction on THAT auction site for a 351C standard bore block for $46... and it was located close to me (in home state in fact), only about 260 miles away. I decided that I would take today to go get it. I wrote hte seller explaining my intention and got some brief directions to "Economy Auto Parts." I also took the opporunity to retrieve my dad's sand wedge. I left it on the 18th hole in Indianapolis, which was on the way to where I was going.

So I get up this morning, and after Men's Breakfast at hte church, I pick up my soon-to-be little brother and head south. First stop is gas. I fill up both tanks on the F150, and jump in to go.

Click Click Click.

no..... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I pop the hood, and find badly corroded cables. Hmmm... some jackass hasnt been taking care of his truck! No problem, I grab the emergency tool kit, pop them off, clean them, and put em back on. This has happened to me before, so I was extremely confident that this would solve the problem.

Click Click Click

$#[email protected] !!!

Okay, so I get it jumped and take a spin down to Batteries Plus (awesome store). I drove it all the way there with no problem, so I am fairly confident that it is the battery and not the alternator or some other part that would take a week and a day to fix. Sure enuf... bad battery. $83 and 2 hours later I am back on the road, cruising around 80... err... 65 MPH towards southern Indiana.

Thre potty breaks later (no not MY breaks), we get to Indianapolis and get the sand wedge. We then back track to the highway the way we came only to find if we had driven another 500 feet on the road that the golfe course was on we would have gotten back to the highway 20 minutes faster. No matter, we are on our way!

I get to Scottsburg (30 miles north of Louisville), and I realize that, while the seller TOLD me "right off of I65," he really mean, "Right off I65 take a left, go down the road about a mile, take a right, and follow that until you see a big bus out in front of an old building." I pull up to this store that can only be described as "wow," and proceeed to enter. There I find a young gentleman with tobacco stains down his chin, and a cigarette hanging from his mouth... no not really. He was a good guy. He worked the parts counter, but he was not my seller. I also met an older gentleman, who I found out was the store owner, who puttered around on a motorized cart due to his lack of a leg... but the guy was nicer than Mary Poppins!

So I get to talking to them, and it seems my seller is not at the store at that particular moment. The owner, who also happened to be his dad, immediately began calling around to find him (like I said, hell of a nice guy). Unable to find him, I was resigned to wait at the store until he showed up (evidently he spends more time at the store than he does breathing). We wait. While we wait, we search for the block. We go outside to a house next door. On our way across the lawn to the car port, I had to have tripped on at least 3 Chevy intake manifolds, a 429 engine, and a rusted out old differential. If I didnt know better, I would SWEAR this stuff was GROWING out there!!Remember, 30 miles north of the Kentucky/Indiana border.

So we look in the car port... 30 blocks, none mine. There was a box truck between the car port and the house. another 25 blocks... nada. We proceed back into the machine shop, where I immediately proceed to slip on some metal shot (from his shot peen pachine) and nearly crack my head open. After looking around and surveying some of his engines that were in the process of reconditioning (this guy is GOOD), we begin out. All this time I was looking down at the floor cause that is where all the parts were (and the shot I was trying to avoid slipping on again). When we went to leave, I lifted my head. What lay before me but none other than a 15 foot tall PILE of engine belts!!!! NO JOKE! There was a small MOUNTAIN of engine belts in this shop!! After being offered a "really good deal" on a truck load of them, I declined and we entered the back of the store.

Wow... this guy I am buying the block from - if you havent figured it out yet - is a hell of a machinist! His engine blocks are works of ART. They look brand new! He als takes nasty old valves, and makes them NEW again! Wow... I was drooling.

Anyway, we look around for the block. We don't find it. Mind you we have been looking for nearly 45 minutes, and the store is about to close. There is one final place to look... his "happy room" (I have never wanted to not know the origin of something so bad in my LIFE)! Anyway, we enter, and there it is, just as it had appeared in the picture on THAT auction site. I tell them I would like to takethe block and leave the money, but they are reluctant to do that without letting the seller know. Evidently he is... sensitive about those kinds of things! No matter, I am not in a hurry. I want to meet him, and its only 3pm.

So the store closes. The owner asks us if we would like to go with him to try to find the seller. "Okay" I say, and begin to climb into my truck. He tells us that we didnt need to take the truck, that we could ride with him. Hesitantly, we do. Mind you I have known this guy for approximately 45 minutes, but he seems nice enough... and I know I can out run him if need be.

So we start out into the country. After 53 winds in the road, I have no idea where we are, and I am beginning to see headlines flash into my head... "Dopey Online Auction Buyer and Little Brother Murdered by One-Legged Man." Finally we get to the sellers house... not home. We check a few other places out in the country... one in out in the woods where I was sure our graves were already dug, but we do not find him. Finally we give up, and we head back to the store. When we get back, the owner says he doesnt know what else to do but tell us to wait at the store because the seller will be there sometime. In my head I am imagining us there until Tuesday, but I thank the owner for his help, and me and my bro climb into the truck, back it into the shade, and sit. Fifteen minutes later, we get a craving for drinks, so we head down to the local gas station for some drums of pop. When we get back *GASP* the seller is there!! He was very apologetic, and I was not pissed (I had NOTHING else planned that day). He is VERY low key... nothing like the other guys described. We go back and get the block... wow... it is beautiful. Standard bore with a very slight ridge at the top. 3 bores have very minimal water stains in them. I had planned a .030 overbore anyway, so these things bother me not. We may well find out that it is cracked all over the place, but I doubt it. I think I jsut got a hell of a deal!!

We load it into the truck, I hand him cash (I gave him $50 even though it was only a $46 auction), and exchange a couple of jovial comments over how badly he got ripped off (standard bore CLEANED 351C block for $46?). We then part ways, and I am gone.

WOW. There really isnt any other way to describe it... jsut... wow.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Are you bored tonight or what? I was glued to the screen waiting for the ol "and out in the country at this guys house was a 67 Shelby on stands for 2000.00 O.B.O." You need to put in some more DRAMA:)

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cliff Notes Version:

I got a really good price on a standard bore 351C block from a bunch of STEREOTYPICAL hillbillies and spent the whole day doing it!

·
6,854 Posts
So we start out into the country. After 53 winds in the road, I have no idea where we are,

SO you was the guys who was riding around in Filow's Pickup with him! We was all wonderen who them there city slickers was! You just lucky Sonny come home when he did. That Filow, he gotta mean streak a mile wide! That old man can kick some serious ass for a man only got one leg! I'm telling you!

Seriously, if you think Scottsburg is "the sticks" then you've never been to the sticks. Hell, Scottsburgs got a McDonalds, Stoplights, and a 4 lane interstate running right through the middle of it. Next time come about 30 miles farther southwest. There isn't a McDonalds or 4 lane highway in this county, or the adjacent county. We do have stoplights. There's one in my town...three in the County Seat, and one in another town further south. Carparts growing out of the ground? We've got whole cars growing out of the ground around here. All they need is a waterpump, a battery and some air in the tires and you could drive them anywhere. Just ask the owners. Don't mind that 12 year old oak tree growing through the floorboards. We'll just cut that out of the way for ya!

Reporting live from the epicenter of "God's Country" (aka "the middle of nowhere")....

Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts