Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry in advance if this is on the long side. here is my problem. i wrecked my 71 mustang into a post goin pretty fast and put a 6 inch wide dent probably a foot back into my car, right in the center of my front end. basically trashing the front end, radiator, etc. it still freewheels, maybe only bending a little bit of stuff around the driver's front wheel. this all happened at my moms house in waynesburg, PA, which is 215 miles away from my hometown of ridgway, PA. I need to get it back to my place now to see what to do with it. My mom is coming here tomorrow with a truck and can dolly it but her and her boyfriend don't know anything about cars and cant drop the driveshaft (automatic). and i don't wanna start the car to get it up on a trailer b/c i am sure the fan is trashed and i know there is a good crease in my oil pan, it would just be bad news. I have read my chiltons manual through and through and they dont say anything about dropping the driveshaft for towing, but i am sure you have to. so i have to drive 215 miles and drop a driveshaft then drive 215 home, or else pay some bum 600 dollars to tow it at a local towing service which is outrageous if you ask me. i would rather make the trip i think. i guess i am just looking a little bit for sympathy, ideas, and a little advice.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
If you don't drop the driveshaft when tow dolling from the front, you WILL blow out the seals in your transmission.

Make the treck, that way you can drive behind them on the way back to make sure nothign else happens

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first of all thanks for replying, especially so quick. thanks to everyone else who might reply as well, or at least looks at my post.
alright, well if i am towing from behind i read in earlier posts that i need to turn the key on (unlock the steering) and then disconnect a battery lead so that it doesn't mess up electrical stuff right? do you think that might be the best way to go, not too many people suggest that, but no one really gives any reason why.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Surely you can pay somebody local to remove the tail shaft.

It's no big deal .

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If you unlock the steering to tow from the back, the steering wheel will need to be secured otherwise the front wheels will steer on their own (not good). It's been many years, but I recall being towed from the rear several times and the tow truck driver tied a rope VERY SECURELY from the steering wheel to the vent glass. In your case, it would have to be to the door frame and the door (somehow) closed.

Forgot to add, if you disconnect the driveshaft to tow from the rear, disconnect it at the rear diff only and leave it pushed into the trans otherwise you risk leaking trans fluid out the back. Obviously, secure the drveshaft well so it does not fall out as its towed. There are only 4 small nuts at the rear u-joint holding the shaft to the diff.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Others have suggested towing it on a dolly from the rear, thus not having to disconnect the driveshaft. I would strongly consider disconnecting the drive shaft and towing from the front for a couple of reasons. "Distance & weight distribution".

I towed a vehicle a while back that way, and had to take the freeway from one town to the next (about an hour drive). All I can say I will never tow from the rear again. My vehicle had lock steering, plus I had tied a rope through the wheel for safety, and that was the scariest trip I ever had. The weight being all at the tailend with the engine, and everytime a semi came by I thought I was going to loose it. I finally got it home 3 hours later, and went down and bought a trailer the following month. I felt the weight distribution had something to do with it as everything else was done as it was suppose to be. Others may disagree with me, but I have done exactly what your thinking of, and know what happened when I tried that route.

I would say short trips would probably be ok this way, but would strongly suggest towing it on a dolly front the front for that long of a trip! Better yet, rent a trailer from Uhaul, so all 4 wheels are off the ground.

Good Luck which ever way you go /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thanks alot guys, i have decided to disconnect the driveshaft and tow it from the front. i would love to use the trailer, but not sure my mom's boyfriend wants that kind of load on his truck. the last thing i want though is my baby flying down the interstate renegade style with no truck attached to it, because it is just a lot of work now, not a 10,000 dollar piece of scrap metal thank god. thanks again everyone for helping, it made my decision a whole lot easier.

-Kalen

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
strip off whatever you need to be able to crank the engine. With no fan and no radiator you should have a good 3 minutes to run the engine before heat becomes an issue. Just don't panic and be quick about it. Think how long it takes for you to get heat from the heater on a cold day. The engine simply does not heat up instantly. You'll kill yourself trying to push a car up on a trailer unless you have 3+ people. and mom doesn't count. Back the car on the trailer. A 2 wheel trailer is your best bet. 4 wheel trailers way half as much as the car and you need a big toe vehicle for them.

I assume your insurance does not cover the tow, but if you havn't checked you probably should.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
From your profile: "I just wish I had a clue what I was doing, the only thing I do know, is that I love my car."

Well that is an excellent start. Welcome to VMF. It is the best site for information and help on our classic Mustangs. There is no such thing as a dumb question (well, unless it's about wheels/tires and you haven't consulted the Almighty Chart/forums/images/icons/wink.gif)! There is a wealth of valuable info in the archives and most well formulated posts get quick answers like yours did. Good luck on the tow, tell us more about your car (fill out your profile or sig line), and let us know how it went.
Later,
Ken

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, tow the car from the front on the dolly & remove the driveshft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts