Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had issues with my clutch install, so I took my 66 to have it checked out. Evidently my 200 6cyl has a different size flywheel and bell housing than what it should have. Sounds like a mess, but now I need to find a 132 tooth that will fix my issue.

Does this sound legit? Why would someone change it? What is my next move? Anywhere I can look to see what the differences/specs so I can get the proper parts?

Dang thing shudders so bad it's not fun to drive and embarrassing at stoplights.

·
Premium Member
13,224 Posts
I am not very familiar with the 6 cylinders but I do know that the '65/'66 200 used an 8.5" clutch and I believe it was '67 when they went to the 9" clutch. In addition the bellhousing to block bolt pattern changed. Some 200 blocks were drilled and tapped with both bolt patterns. Hopefully one of our 6 cylinder gurus will be along soon to help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve been through it... Do you have any pictures of your current set up? If you have the dual pattern block you can use the 8.5” or 9” flywheel/clutch set up as long as you use all the same parts.

I’m happy to help. I recently put a top loader 3 speed behind a 66 early (single) pattern 200 six. I know more than I ever cared to know about the swap...

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
I am not very familiar with the 6 cylinders but I do know that the '65/'66 200 used an 8.5" clutch and I believe it was '67 when they went to the 9" clutch. In addition the bellhousing to block bolt pattern changed. Some 200 blocks were drilled and tapped with both bolt patterns. Hopefully one of our 6 cylinder gurus will be along soon to help.
Not quite right. Ford switched to the 9" clutch in 66, except for cars with the Dagenham 4-speed. In 67 Ford switched to the 3.03 3-speed in I6 Mustangs, which changed the disc, but the 9" pressure plate and wheel was already in use. All 66 200 were machined with both bellhousing bolt patterns, and the C4 used the smaller pattern.

Confused yet?

For the OP, sounds to me like you need a normal clutch job. Surface grind the wheel, and either have the plate surface ground and disc relined, or just get new ones. Don't forget the pilot and release bearing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not quite right. Ford switched to the 9" clutch in 66, except for cars with the Dagenham 4-speed. In 67 Ford switched to the 3.03 3-speed in I6 Mustangs, which changed the disc, but the 9" pressure plate and wheel was already in use. All 66 200 were machined with both bellhousing bolt patterns, and the C4 used the smaller pattern.

Confused yet?

For the OP, sounds to me like you need a normal clutch job. Surface grind the wheel, and either have the plate surface ground and disc relined, or just get new ones. Don't forget the pilot and release bearing.
So with this supposedly rare setup, what is the name or specs I can use to search for the parts I need?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
67 and up 9 inch clutch.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Was everything working OK before you did the clutch install? Or had someone else modified/changed the flywheel & bell housing earlier? Changing a flywheel with a different number of teeth wouldn't have any effect of clutch engagement (which causes the shudder).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts