Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PO said that when he replaced the front suspension (everything does look new), they had to cut the 2 coils to even out the ride height. I'm thinking he put V8 coils (289 lbs) in my I6 car (269lbs).

So, looking at NPD, the coils only cost about 60 bucks. So I'm thinking of popping in the original front coils since I will be replacing the original rear leaves for newer used leaves, new shocks and new bushings.

Does anyone know, or care to speculate, what the effect the front coils will have on ride, performance and height?

I'm running no shelby drop, stock setup all the way around I think. Cooper Cobras on 15"rims.

Thanks!
DrC

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Why would you think he put v8 springs on? Just because they he cut them? That doesn't mean much with new springs having less sag and different manufacturers offering different springs...even if he did...if you want the car to handle, you WANT v8 springs, I6 springs are soft and pretty worthless for handling...even stock rate v8 springs arent all that great. There is less than 90lbs of weight difference between a v8 and a I6...thats less effect than someone in the passenger seat

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
Does anyone care to speculate what effect uncut new I6 oem style front coils will have on ride, performance and height?
Yeah, I'll speculate. It will be as original, which is to say the front will sit higher than most like the look of these days, there will be more evident body roll in turns, and at speed the car will feel likes it's floating around somewhat. But that's how they were, and if that's what you want, then go ahead.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. I am under the (apparently incorrect assumption) that stock was better. In that case, I'll just keep what I have. Seems fine to me. I don't expect it to act like a Porsche in corners, and it doesnt. But I can see how body roll would be even worse. And I like the even stance i have today. I wasn't aware it actually had the nose up when stock?

Thanks =)

·
Registered
33,556 Posts
I'll speculate that he cut ONE spring more than the other to compensate for "Mustang lean" where, typically, the left side ends up lower than the right. Not a good way to address this issue. Until you yank both springs and compare them to each other you'll never know... FWIW, you should be able to check the spring wire diameter to determine whether they're I6 or V8...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I would stop thinking in terms of stock and think in terms of what you want based on what you have. Do you want a softer ride, go softer, if you want a stiffer ride for cutting corners even a little better then go stiffer. Stock Mustangs tend to feel like a boat a little but do have a soft ride as Shelby called them; "secretary's car". With skinny tires, if you turn the front wheel and hit the gas at all they try to keep going straight. If you like your ride and stance, leave well-enough alone. There is no value in having stock springs unless you value a softer ride. One thought process offered by one of our favorite vendors is to run softer springs with a big sway bar so you get a nice ride but the car doesn't have that boatatious ride.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
To the OP...... your car already has 15" rims, so the "stock" thing is already over. If the ride height is
satisfactory and you like the ride characteristics, I'd leave it alone. The six cylinder springs are super
mushy...... but if that's what you like, that's what you like. In my opinion that would take all the
"sportiness" out of the car, but to each his own. I personally consider the stock GT suspension to be
lacking and not aggressive enough. But that's me. I don't have two Mustangs for their Cadillac-like ride
attributes.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'll speculate that he cut ONE spring more than the other to compensate for "Mustang lean" where, typically, the left side ends up lower than the right.
Thread Hijack: Can you expand on this? Why does this happen, just due to the weight of the driver? I've noticed this everytime I put my car up on jack stands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts