Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received new Drivers Side frame rail and was comparing measurements with the old.
Distance from C of engine cross member hole to C of sway bar is not the same.
11 1/2” on the old and 10 1/2” on the new..
Do I have the wrong frame rail?

·
Super Moderator
10,039 Posts
Repop parts are notoriously off, contact the seller for verification.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recall reading about this same issue somewhere. Can’t find the thread... Poster had a new frame rail and had to remove stabilizer bracket and re-weld.
I called the supplier who asked me to call back tomorrow morning because they are swamped.

·
Registered
406 Posts
All new framerails are sold for 65-70. The swaybar mount is placed for 67-70. IIRC, the style is different than the 65-66 also. For the early cars, you will have to possibly reuse or replace your mount, and definitely reposition it. Most sellers tell you this in the description(sort of!)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Dam.....read the fine print as the devil is in the details! I just went to bolt up an auto twirler mustang front mount bracket to the right frt rail after splicing in the outer and inner rail ends. The bumper mount holes it attaches to are at least a 1/4 inch closer together than spec.....so, grind the rotisserie bracket mount hole out to fit....grrrrrr

·
Registered
993 Posts
That’s what I have on both sides of my old frame and the new one are with in an 1/8 of that..
There are alignment holes for that sway bar bracket. Check them to make sure there off as maybe the crossmember threaded hole is in the wrong place..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s what I have on both sides of my old frame and the new one are with in an 1/8 of that..
There are alignment holes for that sway bar bracket. Check them to make sure there off as maybe the crossmember threaded hole is in the wrong place..
Thanks 66Ccode.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
124-2ALH
No unread fine print here. 65-68 in description. I’ll just move the damn thing.

your right... I looked at cj's and npd, and at the rail/apron assy, not just the full rail as you have. No note saying you would have to move the sway bar bracket. How long ago did you get that rail? It looks like the current rail assy's do not have the bracket on them anymore (as noted)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got off the phone with vendor. He confirmed, has to be moved...
thanks for the assistance all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for sharing that. I will likely use the old bracket as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts