Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I took the title for my 69 to my insurance agent to got some coverage since it is on the road now. I had the VIN number memorized from reading the door tag when I bought the car. I watched as the secretary copied the VIN and I noticed she wrote a number down wrong. I looked at the title and it was wrong!

I wanted to drive the car, so my next stop was to get plates. I was pretty sure the title was wrong, but I wanted to wait till I got home to check it.

When I go home, I confirm that the 7 in the sequential number is supposed to be a 4! Dang!

When I bought the car, the owner couldn't find the title and had to file for a lost title. We had to get a rubbing of the VIN plate in the dash. After many unsatisfying attempts to get a good rubbing, we finally decided to take the covered paper in anyway. Somehow, the 4 was mistaken for a 7.

I am in Ohio. Is this going to end up being a huge problem? I'm almost scared to go find out what they have to say. The PO lives in Tennesee. I hope they don't need him to change the title.

Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of problem? I hope I can just take the car up there and they will see that it hasn't been tampered with and understand how easily that mistake could have been made.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes on this one.

·
Registered
647 Posts
About the same thing happened to me with my 65 fastback. The first number of the vin should be a 5, but mine was an S on the title. I went to the Sec. of State here in Michigan, told them the problem. They gave me a form to fill out the correct numbers, the catch was I had to have a local Police officer noterize it. I sent it back into the state and recieved the corrected vin on the title.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I would think an incorrect sequential production number was not a big deal. Now, if the title showed a vert code instead of a fastback, I might have to wonder where that door tag came from.
You should be ok.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The same thing happened (almost) on my 1st fastback. Who knows how many years this had been like this, A 7 was mistaken for the letter I. In CA, they had me drive the car to the DMV office, and a worker came out and verified the VIN, and a form later, all was good!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If all else fails. Go to www.broadwaytitle.com.
For $135 they will take care of all the paperwork and get the title replaced, corrected, ect.
I had to do that with mine since the title had the vin from the door tag which wasn't even from a mustang!.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts