Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for either a new or used C7ZZ-7347-C upper steering column bushing for use as a reverse-engineering model. If I can find an undamaged part, I might be able to reproduce it. I know they're hard to find and I'm willing to work on a "loaner" basis if you have one and you'd rather not part with it permanently. Does anybody have one?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I should note that this part can be found at the bottom of the 1968 Mustang steering column tube. If you have a column lying around, you may well have this part.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I switched my 68 to a tilt away steering. I have the original column out in the shed. Which piece are you looking for?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I switched my 68 to a tilt away steering. I have the original column out in the shed. Which piece are you looking for?
It's a nylon (I think) bushing at the end of the lower tube. I don't have a good picture of one, but I do have an image from the Master Parts Catalog if that would help ID it. I believe one of these is the bearing I'm already reproducing as described above. I'm trying to find the other one.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Ok I’ll take a look. I think I know what part you are referring to. It usually is broken or gone.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Ok, I just grabbed my column. It an original 68 and appears to have all the parts intact. I’ll disassemble it today or tomorrow and see if I can get the piece out intact.

I assume that Ford used Thermostat-set plastics since this was an under hood part. A Thermostat-plast part would melt. Unfortunately this means it is likely really brittle.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I tore down my 68 column and go the bushings out. The little tabs broke off but I saved one. Overall it’s in very good condition. I’ll post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Here’s a couple pics

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Looks like there was some type of foam gasket in there too that was completely deteriorate. Anyone have a good replacement for it?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like there was some type of foam gasket in there too that was completely deteriorate. Anyone have a good replacement for it?
I'm working on reproducing it. Can you share a picture of what you see? I'd like to see the color and the texture, if possible.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I'm working on reproducing it. Can you share a picture of what you see? I'd like to see the color and the texture, if possible.
There was nothing but brownish crumbs left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts