Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a 2.77 3 speed transmission for a 1966 200 6 cyl. Mustang. Would like to pick-up in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area. Thanks, Cliff

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Seriously consider, since you have a 1966, swapping to a V8 3 speed. You would need a 67 bell housing and yoke, but everything else will stay the same, even the shifter. It will solve the gear issue with the 2.77. I am in the Dallas area, and know someone who has a V8 3 speed.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hello from San Diego,
If considering keeping the Mustang original I have three rebuilt units here. Also, there are three different gear ratios inside the units! Some are with lower/taller first gears, so it would be good to have an idea of your rear end gear ratio. I guarantee all my work. $450.00 plus shipping.
Mike.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello from San Diego,
If considering keeping the Mustang original I have three rebuilt units here. Also, there are three different gear ratios inside the units! Some are with lower/taller first gears, so it would be good to have an idea of your rear end gear ratio. I guarantee all my work. $450.00 plus shipping.
Mike.
Mike, Thanks for your offer but, Im looking for a used 2.77 in my area that I can re-build myself if needed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mustangerbob. I saw that one but its 100 miles away. I might have to make the drive though if I cant find one closer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a three speed and 6 cyl bell housing in PHX. Not a bad drive. They’ve been sitting long enough (in a shed) I’d probably trade for beer. Let me know if you want details.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good on you Fitch for sticking with a 6cyl 200ci & 3 speed stick )I think more early mustangs came ordered this way than any other, gawd, that'll cause incoming !..
If your looking to Shop it up popular Ford Hotup artist at the time & parts developer for Ford (no not Shelby) Ran a great informative article in either Motortrend or Hotrod Mag at the time ( mid-late '60's) & he turned the 200 inches into a real "Runner" name escapes me but was popular at salt flats etc.
IF others interested go to pickapart & try & find a 70's Lincoln/Zephyr Cyl head (unleaded comparable) Pocket port it, mill 40-60 thou, use a bigger throat carb, tube (small) headers, trick oil, cold air induction & if smog laws allow quickened curve dist & you'll be seeing off a few V8's at the lights & maybe even fitting a wee torque strap ( truely).
Sorry if appear to hijack thread but new here & thought rather than lost in mix elsewhere.
.NOT. Ray Brock, Not Jim McFarland, NOT Cotton Owens :p ..it'll come to me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts