Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - I decided to change the oil, so I went to all the usual places, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Wal-Mart and finally NAPA where they had 6 quarts of VR1 10W30, I quickly grabbed all 6, while I was checking out I noticed there wasn't the usual yellow sticker touting the zddp in the oil, I thought maybe the sticker was only on the newer bottles, so off I went with visions of floor jacks, dirty hands, and recycled oil dancing through my head. I got to the man cave, unloaded the oil and just happened to look on the back. Under what looked to be a serial number was the number 1987 stamped. Are you kidding me, is that number what I think it is? I know Dino oil has been in the ground for like a billion years, would you put 20 year old oil in YOUR car? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think in 87 they were still using "cans" to package oil, it may be another code.
But if it is the date and the bottles are sealed I think it will be fine to use , might even be better oil for old engines.
You can also check the API ratings, the ones in use today are different than in 87, a google searh might tell you more about the ratings

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Don't think they were using cans in 87, at least around here (although possible). I'd still use sealed 20 year old oil though, even though I doubt that is what it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts