Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1967 mustang coupe v8 289
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weird noise coming from carburetor (i think)
it's also leaking fuel on the bottom between the carb and the spacer (baseplate?) between it and manifold (where the pcv line plugs into) i replaced the gaskets and bolts are tight.
see video:

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Sounds like your PCV hose is not sealed well and it is whistling/ sucking air at the base plate connection or at the valve.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your PCV hose is not sealed well and it is whistling/ sucking air at the base plate connection or at the valve.
the hose is new and it's clamped tightly. could it be sucking air between the plate itself? around the base between the carb and plate is leaking fuel. should i double up on a gasket?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
squirt carb spray around it and see if the noise changes- that may help you narrow it down

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
squirt carb spray around it and see if the noise changes- that may help you narrow it down
Carb cleaner is a good way to find leaks, but be careful since it can easily catch fire on a hot engine. Using a propane torch (open the bottle, but not fire it up) is a safer method. In my experience not as efficient as carb cleaner.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's a vacuum leak between the spacer and the carb or the spacer and the intake. You are hearing the gasket vibrate between the surfaces like a reed in a horn. You need to remove the carb and spacer and flatten them by rubbing on a pane of glass with sand paper glued to it. I also use a very flat file on the carb base.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Carb cleaner is a good way to find leaks, but be careful since it can easily catch fire on a hot engine. Using a propane torch (open the bottle, but not fire it up) is a safer method. In my experience not as efficient as carb cleaner.
An ever SAFER method is a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of water and dish soap. Non-flammable and its "thickness" will temporarily seal the leak causing the noise to change and the engine to run smoother.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone. i removed the carb and swapped the gaskets and cleaned everything in between the best i could and the noise seemed to have went away (for now)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts