Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like I put the heads on backwards. Not that it matters, but the motor is in the car, and the 3 bolt holes on the front of each head are a different size! This means that My alternator and power steering pump bolts are too small to go into the larger hole. I figured all the holes are the same... then I talked to a guy who said I need to install a "thermactor plug", and this will reduce the thread size.... has anyone ever heard of this? If so, where do I get one? I have asked all around town, and no one knows what im talking about.... I need somthing to reduce the thread size in the head so I can mount my PS pump and alternator back on the motor!

·
Registered
566 Posts
You can get the plug from ford. The heads should be identical bolt holes and all. the front of the drivers side head will be the back of the passangers side head. if you look close I believe that you will find the holes are the same size.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
What you need is called a "threaded insert" Go to this website:

www.mcmaster.com

Do a search on threaded inserts( or just go to pg 3034). The black phospated steel inserts will be fine. You will need to know the size of the threads on the bolt and in the head. Cost @ $1.00 each.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
yes... my 5.0 has them. Also i believe the thread is a pipe thread.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I go to my local dealer and ask around the shop mechanics,,They come in all the replacement heads and the techs have to remove them to install the emissions on later cars,,some one will have a bag of them thrown in their toolbox

1 - 7 of 7 Posts