Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A first for me, yesterday this tire was fine, this morning total destruction. Just from sitting for a week. I know it was HOT yesterday, but not that hot, just 111.

Attachments

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,357 Posts
I had a truck do that on both tires that faced south. It sat a LONG time before it happened. The tires on the other side never got direct sun and lasted years.

·
Premium Member
11,440 Posts
Find the DOT code on the sidewall near the bead and post it. It will tell which week of which year the tire was made. I'm betting it's an old tire.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tirebuyer.com/medias/sys_master/8829197844510/age-hero-580-x-330.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires&h=330&w=580&tbnid=LupLdvDatlIiFM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=282&docid=cCcGKtTTjSou9M&usg=__EcSG-KQ-Mx9LujSXlYbBeso5Zgg=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7v4KuwM3NAhXHy4MKHcRkDGkQ9QEIMzAA

It wouldn't surprise me if your date code is only 3 digits which only has one numeral for the year. They went to two numerals in 2000.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I had a truck do that on both tires that faced south. It sat a LONG time before it happened. The tires on the other side never got direct sun and lasted years.
Gypsy this has been the subject of many long threads. "Experts" tend to ignore actual experience.
For example I had a one owner 37 Ford I sold in 1990. The original spare was still in the trunk with no sign of wear. The rubber was black, crack free looked and felt..the fingernail test like a new tore. 53 years old!

It's well known that UV and Ozone attacks EPTs, and most petroleum products like thermoplastices/vinyl.

Actual experience shows vinyl and other petro based plastics deteriorate in UV. You can get 60 year old NOS vinyl upholstery that's been stored inside that's still like the day it was produced.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
For example I had a one owner 37 Ford I sold in 1990. The original spare was still in the trunk with no sign of wear. The rubber was black, crack free looked and felt..the fingernail test like a new tore. 53 years old!
It might look new and pass the fingernail test, but I guarantee you that the rubber in the tire has degraded to some degree over time. That's even if it never saw daylight and never had been used. And as you well know, tires get a stress even in normal use.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
It might look new and pass the fingernail test, but I guarantee you that the rubber in the tire has degraded to some degree over time. That's even if it never saw daylight and never had been used. And as you well know, tires get a stress even in normal use.
What is the basis for your guarantee? Yes, it will be more than 0%. Part of the total degradation is due to temp/heat.

With near zero UV, ozone and moderate temp I contend there's little cause for degradation per year.

We have a less than 2 car garage. My Mustang is inside except when on a rare short drive. My wife's car is in the garage except driving to where she works (parks in a parking building) and occasional family trip.

The work/haul extra vehicle is parked on the extended drive south side of the garage. Tires on the south side are badly cracked/checked/dried out in 2 or 3 years.

Put the new set of white walls on my Mustang 8 years ago. No sign of drying even on the white walls.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
What is the basis for your guarantee?
Extensive training and experience as an accident investigator and reconstructionist, research studies by the rubber and tire industry, peer reviewed studies by scientists and personal experience.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
He probably can put new tires on all his cars with what he considers pocket change.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Rubber is subject to oxidation over time, so unless someone is storing tires in a peat bog, expect that they will not last.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts