Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
IMO, the press is a double edged sword. They are truly needed and should be applauded when they spot light horrible crimes ad they did on "The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez" shown on Netflix, which is a must see. On the other hand, during my police career I was involved in a few crimes that made the paper. Not one of the stories printed was correct. Their most egregious and flat out lie was the headline "Police Defend Slaying Of Handcuffed Man".

IMO they continue to be negative, sensational and a $hit disturbing bunch.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
COVID-19. SARS CoV-2 would be good as well. The evil media constantly says it's strives for accuracy, and it's BS, cuz they aren't even close in most instances of reporting anything.
Evil as in spreading ignorance like saying Covid-19 isn't special, there have been 18 other corona viruses or media saying where to lay blame? Evil striving for accuracy but falling short? When short with or without a correction? Or evil as in they upset you or hurt your feelings?
At this point we are all producing media and if you do it with hatred and baseless blame, well, you might be evil. So please, if you can be specific, which media has not been close and when? Did you witness it or hear about from another? Maybe you can be helped with that. Otherwise you might as well be blaming Playboy (which is media) for starting masturbation.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
That's pretty pedantic, considering all COVID-19 stands for is coronavirus disease, 2019. So you're saying they're wrong for calling it coronavirus, instead of coronavirus disease?

Whereas SARS CoV-2 is the name given to the virus itself as opposed to the condition (again with CoV=coronavirus).

Splitting some pretty thin hairs to say calling it 'coronavirus' isn't correct because it technically is, and not sure how it warrants evil.

The media has had pretty good factual accuracy on their reporting of coronavirus. My head hasn't exploded yet.
The media saying coronavirus would be the same as calling this place Vintage Car Forum. Factually correct, but lacking in accuracy.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The media saying coronavirus would be the same as calling this place Vintage Car Forum. Factually correct, but lacking in accuracy.
Not really. Because here we're still only talking about only Mustangs and not other cars (eg, other virus families). Your comparison would be more accurate if this place was Vintage Mustang Forum but we could only talk about the 68 Shelby.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I don’t want to take sides or split hairs. I may stop short of calling the media “Evil”, but I do glance at the mainstream media channels and find it somewhat deplorable. What I see is a magnifying glass on anything that is negative or will create a sense of fear. Are they inaccurate?...no. You have to really dig to find good news, such as the pockets of economic hope, the number of cases that have recovered. It is just my opinion, but I feel the only thing main stream media wants to do is raise fear and hatred by giving partial truths, even if accurate. Hopefully society will one day swing the other way and boycott media that does want to promote good. Yes, the media needs to report on news that isn’t good but they can do it in a manner that doesn’t elicit such negative emotions. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and am willing to listen. I don’t need to hate or feel them ignorant just because I don’t agree.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Why is it always mainstream? Is the fringe media better? Doubt it probably worse at reporting and over sensationalizing. The media does what it does to get viewers just like this place.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'd still take our free press over the opposite any day of the week.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
A free press is a liberal press, if not it's propaganda. I mean the classical liberal, not what it has been twisted to make so many fearful. Consider the liberal journalist Cronkite reporting negative things about the liberal LBJ and Vietnam. Now try and find a modern comparable.

The number one watched cable news channel is main steam. Do they have any single person left that reports facts with a straight face? Even Chris Wallace has a crooked Cheshire cat grin.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Media. Hate most of it.
On August 16th, 1987 I was visiting my friends. I was a teenager doing teenager things. We were trying to gather enough friends to play a game of base ball. One of those friends couldn't play because he was waiting to hear news that his father was alive.
His family was unsure if he was on flight 255 out of Detroit. The plane had crashed killing all but one baby that day. Just a few minutes before we arrived.
We stayed to console the friend. We watched the live news. We watched as the drunken news anchor asked how many bodies the on scene reporter could count. The reporter did not know. The anchorman demanded he count the body bags.
That was the end of my respect for the news.
Now it is just a propaganda machine owned by left wing billionaires with a political agenda and no concern for truth.

·
Registered
891 Posts
A free press is a liberal press, if not it's propaganda. I mean the classical liberal, not what it has been twisted to make so many fearful. Consider the liberal journalist Cronkite reporting negative things about the liberal LBJ and Vietnam. Now try and find a modern comparable.

The number one watched cable news channel is main steam. Do they have any single person left that reports facts with a straight face? Even Chris Wallace has a crooked Cheshire cat grin.
Remember as a kid not knowing Chronkite's political leanings because you couldn't tell from his reporting.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Left wing billionaires? Who bezos? Or Rupert Murdoch ? Another billionaire with a right wing agenda. They are same . Right or left.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Remember as a kid not knowing Chronkite's political leanings because you couldn't tell from his reporting.
I think it was because we were kids. When you look back on documentaries of the Vietnam war you knew were he stood. When I think back to the evening news growing up with the nightly field reporting and daily body count while my family ate dinner it starts to put this pandemic in a small bit of perspective.
I have no problem with Walter Cronkite. Unlike today, he kept his leanings under control.
Left wing billionaires? Who bezos? Or Rupert Murdoch ? Another billionaire with a right wing agenda. They are same . Right or left.
Yep!

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Media. Hate most of it.
On August 16th, 1987 I was visiting my friends. I was a teenager doing teenager things. We were trying to gather enough friends to play a game of base ball. One of those friends couldn't play because he was waiting to hear news that his father was alive.
His family was unsure if he was on flight 255 out of Detroit. The plane had crashed killing all but one baby that day. Just a few minutes before we arrived.
We stayed to console the friend. We watched the live news. We watched as the drunken news anchor asked how many bodies the on scene reporter could count. The reporter did not know. The anchorman demanded he count the body bags.
That was the end of my respect for the news.
Now it is just a propaganda machine owned by left wing billionaires with a political agenda and no concern for truth.
How very sad for you to judge a group based on one incident. I thought the same of people from Michigan until I met another one:)
You should try OAN, they'll make you feel better about your choices and ideals.

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
That Murdoch fella is a left wing billionaire? Zounds! Do the people at his Fox network know?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd really like for this thread not get shut down, because there is some good info here. @Lizer from a science perspective, I'm very curious what your thoughts are for the next 3-4 months in terms of our ability for our lives to get back to normal. Elaborating, assuming there are 370 million (approx) people in the US that have no immunity to this virus, we're only about 70,000 people in right now with NYC showing how bad things can get. Using NYC as an example, how do we even have a chance of getting the economy back without flooding our hospitals due to how contagious this is, especially taking into account it lived on the Diamond Princess 17 days after everyone left. This truly is a serious question, and please elaborate if you can, or feel free to PM me as well because I am genuinely interested.

·
Registered
457 Posts
That Murdoch fella is a left wing billionaire? Zounds! Do the people at his Fox network know?
Oh I think you got my meaning - wink wink.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'd really like for this thread not get shut down, because there is some good info here. @Lizer from a science perspective, I'm very curious what your thoughts are for the next 3-4 months in terms of our ability for our lives to get back to normal. Elaborating, assuming there are 370 million (approx) people in the US that have no immunity to this virus, we're only about 70,000 people in right now with NYC showing how bad things can get. Using NYC as an example, how do we even have a chance of getting the economy back without flooding our hospitals due to how contagious this is, especially taking into account it lived on the Diamond Princess 17 days after everyone left. This truly is a serious question, and please elaborate if you can, or feel free to PM me as well because I am genuinely interested.
Here's some food for thought/hope?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I just like to talk science, and this thread is going everywhere from bread to media. I don't know what's happening.

To the above, my opinion isn't worth much. Really the only way to answer this accurately is with some good epidemiological models. Truth is I don't know what to do. We have to get this economy back on its feet, but we can't have the entire place turning into New York either.

I think the best answer is going to be hope for some good antivirals. I think vaccine is still too far off to be helpful. If we had a vaccine NOW, we could shut this entire thing down in three weeks.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I just like to talk science, and this thread is going everywhere from bread to media. I don't know what's happening. My opinion isn't worth much. Really the only way to answer this accurate is with some good mathematical models. Truth is I don't know what to do. We have to get this economy back on its feet, but we can't have the entire place turning into New York either.

I think the best answer is going to be hope for some good antivirals. I think vaccine is still too far off to be helpful. If we had a vaccine NOW, we could shut this entire thing down in three weeks.
I think at some point we have to concentrate on the fact that it appears that 80% of the population is in the clear, possibly higher. Don't take this as a cavalier attitude on my part.We can argue all day long about how bad the death of a person is, and it IS. To wreck the whole economy and the death that may cause at some point may out weigh the numbers we will lose to the virus.

My son, who lives in San Francisco ask if my attitude was changing towards this virus. I had to ask him what my attitude was. He was asking my disposition and that he had noticed himself starting to think that it's not as serious as he once did. I told him that I thought it was very serious but to a specific populous.

Obviously, I'm only posting this to see opinions, opposing or agreeing...

Allen

181 - 200 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.