Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I keep seeing "the media" being blamed for this. I don't get it. When I turn on the news I would like to be informed of what's the latest information on the virus problem. Lots of people want that too so they cater to the market instead of reporting stuff like the latest head count of the King penguin population in the Antarctic. If you were in the news, what would be reporting on? IF you were trying for a successful career? Covid, politics, and money is what's drawing the crowds right now.
People want the news, not opinion.
I want to hear: "There's a bad wreck on I95 between a truck and car, at exit 12", NOT: "There's a bad wreck on I95 between a truck and a car, at exit 12. The car was driven by a stupid woman".
Like Joe Friday said, "Just the facts".

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I keep seeing "the media" being blamed for this. I don't get it. When I turn on the news I would like to be informed of what's the latest information on the virus problem. Lots of people want that too so they cater to the market instead of reporting stuff like the latest head count of the King penguin population in the Antarctic. If you were in the news, what would be reporting on? IF you were trying for a successful career? Covid, politics, and money is what's drawing the crowds right now.
The problem is that the media does very little reporting vs editorializing. If I were reporting I would be conveying the different responses around the world and tracking their apparent efficacy.

Sadly too many are simply shaping this event to advance their narrative.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Remember when the world shut down for the swine flu? Remember the mass panic and hysteria when

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus. Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated.** Globally, 80 percent of (H1N1)pdm09 virus-related deaths were estimated to have occurred in people younger than 65 years of age. This differs greatly from typical seasonal influenza epidemics, during which about 70 percent to 90 percent of deaths are estimated to occur in people 65 years and older.

Yeah, I don’t either.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
One benefit to all this COVID-19 nonsense is that flu deaths will decrease as well. Why aren't we doing this every flu season if it will reduce deaths and hospitalizations?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
One benefit to all this COVID-19 nonsense is that flu deaths will decrease as well. Why aren't we doing this every flu season if it will reduce deaths and hospitalizations?
doing it every year seems like it’ll be great for the economy. It’s having wonderful effects thus far.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Seems like preventing deaths would be a good thing. That's why new cars have all kinds of nonsense on them.
Destroying the whole worlds economy every year, causing people to lose jobs, and businesses to close, which causes a larger snowball effect to continue further destroy the economy, sending unemployment rates through the roof, to stop something that will kill a small fraction of 1% of people

vs

Safety features (Nonsense?) that have had exactly what side effects that would compare to whats happening now?

death is a fact. Maybe we should try reducing obesity, as it kills more people than this virus will and is actually controllable by individuals. The effects of what this overreaction is causing will be worse.

·
Just some guy
19,994 Posts
Somebody get all political so I can shut this one down too. OK, not really.

I haven't seen or read any particularly panic-inducing news really. It's been reasonably factual so far. Must be my choices of news outlets. Now some of the SOURCES of the news and info have been highly suspect.

I was talking to a staff member of another forum about how they tried to combine all their virus threads into one and I didn't think that was a good solution. On their second thought they totally went the other way and created a Covid-19 forum section and put all the threads in it. He said "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." I conceded it seems to be working very well for them and that section is seriously active. And mostly politically behaved too.

·
Registered
682 Posts
@GypsyR, the posts by @Wiseguy59 and @66coupe289 are succinct. We all know I can't be. ;)

Opinion and agendas supersede facts in American journalism. Leftist bias is a generational institution now, and reporters don't even recognize they have it. Most folks forget that "right-wing" outlets like Fox News, The Drudge Report, and Rush Limbaugh are reactions to long-term media political bias. If the old-school press had been honest reporters since the 1980s, there wouldn't be a market for Fox, Drudge, or the flood of independent journalists and editorialists now on the Internet.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
FRICKEN THANK YOU. And can I get an Amen!?

Can you imagine how screwed and UNINFORMED we'd be if we didn't have the media?

And I'm going to say, they're doing a great job. They're reporting the facts, it's accurate, and everything I've been reading has been most importantly--scientifically accurate. It's been fairly balanced. Sites like WaPo that normally require subscriptions are offering COVID content free. The media is playing a huge part in public health, containing the spread, and getting the word out.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Well, I’m watching the news now, and they make the virus sound like certain death, when it’s anything but that. The large majority will get sick. I’ve been sick, have you? Closing the world down is insanity.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Well, I’m watching the news now, and they make the virus sound like certain death, when it’s anything but that. The large majority will get sick. I’ve been sick, have you? Closing the world down is insanity.

·
Just some guy
19,994 Posts
Some very different news we are watching. I've been too busy to catch much but I haven't seen intimations that "we're all gonna die!" Just notices of what will be closed mostly and endless stuff about personal sanitation. Bits about the folks who are in various kinds of panic mode.
Most people find the situation in northern Italy a good enough example of what can happen if we don't shut down as much as practical and slow the spread so our medical services stand a chance of keeping up with the percentage of the population who need them.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The news is not closing down the world, sending $1000 to every American, closing restaurants and bars, shutting down state borders, killing elderly people, sending 16% of all working Americans to work from home, keeping kids home from school, shutting down movie theaters....that is all the results of government at local, state, or federal level. The news is merely reporting it. I've never seen any news organization make it sound like certain death either.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
all of those things are a compounding result of the mass panic reported by the government. I don’t know a single person. Not 1 single person that feels the panic induced by the media. But the media keeps saying there is panic, and therefore, there’s panic. It’s ridiculous, and the very large majority of us are at a very very very slight risk of danger. Unless you watch tv.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The news is not closing down the world, sending $1000 to every American, closing restaurants and bars, shutting down state borders, killing elderly people, sending 16% of all working Americans to work from home, keeping kids home from school, shutting down movie theaters....that is all the results of government at local, state, or federal level. The news is merely reporting it. I've never seen any news organization make it sound like certain death either.
WOW!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
all of those things are a compounding result of the mass panic reported by the government. I don’t know a single person. Not 1 single person that feels the panic induced by the media. But the media keeps saying there is panic, and therefore, there’s panic. It’s ridiculous, and the very large majority of us are at a very very very slight risk of danger. Unless you watch tv.
My wife, my mother in law, and best friend are all high risk, so speak for yourself.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
My wife, my mother in law, and best friend are all high risk, so speak for yourself.
has anyone you know contracted the virus? So based on yourself, and the people you know, you’re going toss the rest of the statistics that say much less than 1% will die, are out the window?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Media induced panic is rampant here. No toilet paper, no paper towels, no canned vegetables, no disinfectant, very few frozen dinners, veggies or meat. It is ridiculous. Some people now have a years supply of paper products. Local Kroger is getting fresh cut chicken, ground beef etc in but having to limit the purchase. The normally well stocked butcher counter is totally empty, I mean NOTHING. I hope people aren't trying to stockpile fresh meat....ha ha.

21 - 40 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.