Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Destroying the whole worlds economy every year, causing people to lose jobs, and businesses to close, which causes a larger snowball effect to continue further destroy the economy, sending unemployment rates through the roof, to stop something that will kill a small fraction of 1% of people

vs

Safety features (Nonsense?) that have had exactly what side effects that would compare to whats happening now?
So what you're saying is that it's ok if 30,000 people die (with a decent chunk of them being healthy kids), just in the US, even tho it can be prevented or at least minimized?

·
Just some guy
20,013 Posts
A viral pandemic seems kind of a weird thing to be in denial about, but OK. If I take some extra recommended steps to protect loved ones from it that may be in mortal danger I would think it to be my business. I don't equate taking some extra care with panicking.

No one I know seems to be panicking and says they aren't. But somebody's cleaning out the store shelves. I've never before equated panic with toilet paper but apparently that's a thing now.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
So what you're saying is that it's ok if 30,000 people die (with a decent chunk of them being healthy kids), just in the US, even tho it can be prevented or at least minimized?
So you’re okay with destroying the whole economy over the flu, every year, which has vaccinations, and steps can be taken to protect yourself? I guess with unemployment being as high as it would be, it wouldn’t be a problem for people to stay at home. Sure, why not crush everyone in the worlds retirement to protect a fraction of 1%. That seems logical.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I haven't seen or read any particularly panic-inducing news really. It's been reasonably factual so far.
I agree where the public service type news is concerned. We'll have to wait and see when the "blame and score political points" phase hits. Overall, I have very little hope the newsies realize that a world-wide epidemic is not the time or place for "business as usual". Regretfully, it's also impossible to discuss mainstream media without touching on politics. Political bias is their major flaw after all. So far, there have been some really stupid fake stories crafted to damage Trump.

Thankfully, I also haven't seen any genuine panic behavior from the public. Well, there was this one guy wearing a useless surgical mask in a grocery store two weeks ago. And the two old ladies slap-fighting over the last pack of TP in Australia. Which was hilarious. I don't really think the prepper over-shopping is panic.

I suspect what many folks below age 40 call "panic" is the extreme social precautions being taken to slow down the spread. Cancelling public events, closing restaurants, and so forth. For younger folks with no health problems, this is just another flu bug and such precautions makes no sense.

Then there are the folks who simple don't believe anything the media tells them any more. For them, this story is being hyped just to hurt the economy and affect the next election. Okay I don't trust the media either, but I've also researched the medical facts. This truly is an extremely contagious viral pneumonia that is very dangerous to people age 50 and above.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Political bias is their major flaw after all. So far, there have been some really stupid fake stories crafted to damage Trump.
OK Boomer, please cite one.

On the plus side if it were only fatal to those over 50 I would expect a large number of classic cars to come for sale later in the year and for prices to drop.:D

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
OK Boomer, please cite one.
Only to provide one example and not to dip this into the political realm, this is from an article by Tim Morrison on RCP:

"It has been alleged by multiple officials of the Obama administration, including in The Washington Post, that the president and his then-national security adviser, John Bolton, “dissolved the office” at the White House in charge of pandemic preparedness. Because I led the very directorate assigned that mission, the counterproliferation and biodefense office, for a year and then handed it off to another official who still holds the post, I know the charge is specious. "

Let's keep this on the facts of what can be done of a positive nature and not political BS. If you insist on debating the above point, take it here:

They have a comment section where you can get your fill of debate.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
For younger folks with no health problems, this is just another flu bug and such precautions makes no sense.
Really? So where do we send all those young people so that they do not come in contact with the older people for whom the virus is a real threat? Young people can be, and are, infected and can, and are, spreading it to older folks.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
has anyone you know contracted the virus? So based on yourself, and the people you know, you’re going toss the rest of the statistics that say much less than 1% will die, are out the window?
I just thought we were playing a game of who's anecdotal evidence is more worthless.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Only to provide one example and not to dip this into the political realm, this is from an article by Tim Morrison on RCP:

They have a comment section where you can get your fill of debate.
I think the reporting can be discussed without a political tinge so here goes.
That you for that deep cut, and nice try but that is NOT an example of stoopid , fake, or "made up" by a journalist. It doesn't even really refute the negative implications the original article made. The WP was reporting from a former #44 official, not making it up. Yes, it does little good to heap blame at this time, that is as ignorant as feeling the need to call it The Chinese Virus, it is only self serving for spite.
I find it admirable that this same opinion piece was run in WaPo which reported the original allegations. Not quite a retraction or correction. This former official, the RCP author only calls the claim "specious" (I only assume he knows the correct usage of that word) even in his own words he better clarified to tell how the original charge, although semantically specious, it pragmatically true with the consolidation of offices and thus while unflattering is still not made up or fake. The fact is that Bolton " nixed the pandemic preparedness office as part of an effort to streamline the agency."

This non-partisan group illuminates the original allegation further. "Bolton’s chosen approach to NSC 'streamlining' involved decapitating and diluting the White House’s focus on pandemic threats," Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, wrote in a rebuttal. "He eliminated the senior director position entirely, closed the biodefense directorate, and spread the remaining staff across other parts of the NSC."
And why might something like that be called fake? “I just think it's a nasty question,. and when you say ‘me,' I didn't do it. ... I don't know anything about it.” AKA Passing the buck!

So please, still looking for...some really stupid fake stories crafted to damage....

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I just thought we were playing a game of who's anecdotal evidence is more worthless.
Went to the grocery store yesterday, i wonder if people felt sorry for me buying some of the last of the bread on the shelf, hot dog buns. I ONLY NEEDED HD BUNS! I was kinda miffed burger buns were gone, gonna have to make an oblong burger :(
Place was over packed with the elderly, thought i saw a few Zombies mixed in. Luckily they were the slow walking kind so they didn't bother me. Still think I may have caught a "regular" disease being around them though, mild headache since then.
Stopped by a Pennsylvania Dutch Bakery for a Pumpkin roll, fried pies and awesome sliced sourdough bread. I got the "regular" $4.99 price ($6.50 sign on the shelf) since they recognized me as a semi-regular or was it because I bought a $15 pumpkin roll :)

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
This is an interesting article:
Regarding destroying the economy by being prudent: by not being prudent companies everywhere will be shut down because their employee population will become massively sick. At a 1% death rate, in general, the US alone could see millions of deaths. With our older generation seeing 6%+ death rates many of your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles will be dead by the end of the year.

As the our truckers become sick they will not be able to deliver food to the grocery stores.

As our medical facilities become overworked our health care workers will become sick. Some of them will die. If you have a non-corona illness, heart attack for instance, you better hope the doctor is available, there are rooms available and the health professionals are not so worn out they don't make mistakes.

Shutting down with social distancing NOW is the least of evils. To delay will result in a totally destroyed economy and many deaths.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts

·
Registered
5,595 Posts

·
Just some guy
20,013 Posts
"Bolton’s chosen approach to NSC 'streamlining' involved decapitating and diluting the White House’s focus on pandemic threats," Jeremy Konyndyk, a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, wrote in a rebuttal. "He eliminated the senior director position entirely, closed the biodefense directorate, and spread the remaining staff across other parts of the NSC."

So please, still looking for...some really stupid fake stories crafted to damage....
It's quite possible the whole "White House team dispersal" thing is just a foil to confuse and deflect controversy about the actual problem of how the international pandemic response team at the CDC WAS dismissed a couple of years ago. That it actually happened is even up on Snopes so it can't reasonably be denied. But mixing it up in peoples' minds with a made up non-event among White House staff might help. So that might just be your "fake story" right there under your nose.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Ah gee. Only 84,386 have technically recovered. The point remains the same. I guess the 209,824 that have contracted the virus and it hasn’t been fatal.....
Respectfully, you are refusing to understand the problem. It has been explained over and over and explained very well by a lot of people.

41 - 60 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.