Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
My contempt is for the government of China, not the people. They get screwed just as much by their own government.
I completely agree with this. But - I think a lot of the rest of the world feels the same way about the United States - regardless of what political party is running the place.

·
Registered
682 Posts
MANY diseases and viruses are named after their region of discovery.....Dengue Virus....
Where is Dengue? Is it a river in Africa? Web search only turns up information about the virus. The internet search engine bias is impenetrable in this case. The origin of "Dengue Fever" is mysterious and ancient. Any takers that a bitter medicine man name it after his second ex-wife?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Well, the common cold (which is caused by many viruses, and most frequently of which are a rhinovirus) doesn't have mortality or even any remotely substantial morbidity associated with it. The common cold is not going to put hospitals at capacity and max out ventilators. So to even attempt to establish some sort of equivalence between the two is completely ignorant and disingenuous.

Coronaviruses are ubiquitous in bats, but it's not going to jump directly from bats to humans so easily, at least in the case of SARS-CoV-2. The transmembrane domain (TMD) of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, the portion of the protein responsible for binding to the ACE2 receptor on the surface of your cells, has little homology to the TMD on known bat coronaviruses, but the 6 amino acids that comprise the TMD on SARS-CoV-2 are almost identical to that of a pangolin coronavirus. This suggests that the pangolin could have acted as an intermediate host, there were recombination or mutation events with a bat coronavirus, and mutation events occurred either before or after transfer to humans to recognize the human ACE2 receptor. This is a proposal recently published in Nature Medicine.
Wasn't saying colds and COVID-19 were equivalent. Even said that colds don't kill. But the evil media is simply using coronavirus, instead of the correct term. And coronaviruses can cause the common cold, so what I said was factually accurate.
And SARS and COVID-19 both seem to have originated in bats, so there's something there. When it happens again, we'll have a trend going. How it gets from bats to humans is for other people to figure out. It doesn't affect how I'm going to treat the humans, so I don't care about the specifics.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The US has 40,791 cases reported.
View attachment 747838
The graph is showing a fast assent. Canada's graph is starting to showing a flattening.
US:
View attachment 747835
Canada:
View attachment 747837
the numbers are going to continue to go up since testing is just now becoming more widespread. If we had started testing a large chunk of people a month ago, it wouldn't look as bad, but the numbers would still be high. Woulda seen a more gradual rise over time. Assume thousands more are positive but asymptomatic, so they aren't being tested.

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
the numbers are going to continue to go up since testing is just now becoming more widespread. If we had started testing a large chunk of people a month ago, it wouldn't look as bad, but the numbers would still be high. Woulda seen a more gradual rise over time. Assume thousands more are positive but asymptomatic, so they aren't being tested.
Right. And that makes it scarier :(

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I didnt start it but I can end it...again!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Right. And that makes it scarier :(
Not really. Remember you've got a 98% or better chance of surviving if you get it. And if you're in lock-down, the chances of getting it got really, really tiny. And since a good chunk are asymptomatic, you may already have it, and never know it, cuz nothing will change. the numbers don't change the severity of it. The ones that are gonna die are gonna die if there's 10 people or 10 million people with it.

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
Not really. Remember you've got a 98% or better chance of surviving if you get it. And if you're in lock-down, the chances of getting it got really, really tiny. And since a good chunk are asymptomatic, you may already have it, and never know it, cuz nothing will change. the numbers don't change the severity of it. The ones that are gonna die are gonna die if there's 10 people or 10 million people with it.
I may get it and survive fine. My wife will die.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I may get it and survive fine. My wife will die.
then you'll want to take more precautions. But that also applies to the flu, since she'll be at a higher risk for problems or dying from the flu as well. Not the same as with the Wuhan Flu, but more than the general population.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
LOL>

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Another laugh.

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
Which is ....what? The "evil media" or the "correct term"?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Could also be a damn clever way to start the 3rd world war.
Start a virus that causes a pandemic in your enemies country. Pretend it is natural. Of course have the cure set a side for yourself for the right moment. Handy cap the entire world. This will also cause social, and economic strain and possible collapse of an opponents society. Win the war without firing a single bullet. No conventional warfare. No nukes.
Win the war and just move right into a disabled nation with an infrastructure intact. Check Mate.
I am not saying I believe this. I am not paranoid. The thought just occurred to me.

I am surprised I haven't seen a movie like this. It would make a good book, or probably already has.
Robin Cook has written an entire series of books to this flavor. The movie 'Outbreak' was after one of his books, 'Outbreak.'

Probably his most famous book was 'Coma.'

Anyway, genomic analysis has revealed that this virus being man made is highly implausible.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The main thing we have to hope for, is the next time China releases a new virus into the world, that the government learned enough this time to shut the fracking borders and keep it out. Yeah, they did a decent job for people from China initially, but Fauci and the CDC and WHO shoulda been smart enough to realize that it was gonna be in every other country soon enough, and keeping everybody out woulda kept us out of this mess. They're to blame for the depression that's gonna hit pretty soon.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
COVID-19. SARS CoV-2 would be good as well. The evil media constantly says it's strives for accuracy, and it's BS, cuz they aren't even close in most instances of reporting anything.
That's pretty pedantic, considering all COVID-19 stands for is coronavirus disease, 2019. So you're saying they're wrong for calling it coronavirus, instead of coronavirus disease?

Whereas SARS CoV-2 is the name given to the virus itself as opposed to the condition (again with CoV=coronavirus).

Splitting some pretty thin hairs to say calling it 'coronavirus' isn't correct because it technically is, and not sure how it warrants evil.

The media has had pretty good factual accuracy on their reporting of coronavirus. My head hasn't exploded yet.

·
Just some guy
19,995 Posts
I just want to know where this "evil media" is. I want to see. It's not a dark web thing is it?

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” George Orwell

161 - 180 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.