Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm thinking about getting some exhaust work done on my car. I've been wishing it was a little louder. I figure that while I'm at it, getting the mufflers swapped out, might as well consider getting an X pipe too. I've also considered getting cutouts just for fun every once in a while. I found this X pipe that has cutouts built in. What do you guys think of this setup? The X pipe is 2.5" but I think my stock exhaust is 2", maybe 2.25", anyone know what was stock? Assuming my stock pipes are smaller than 2.5, will the shop be able to install this X pipe? Also, I have the stock manifolds. I'm assuming they'll have to fab up something to connect the X pipe to the manifolds. Also, is it even worth puttin an X pipe on a stock 289? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
Looks kinda wide to fit under a Mustang. Pity, I get a kick out of Lake pipes. The H pipe is well worth installing, though.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Hey all. I'm thinking about getting some exhaust work done on my car. I've been wishing it was a little louder. I figure that while I'm at it, getting the mufflers swapped out, might as well consider getting an X pipe too. I've also considered getting cutouts just for fun every once in a while. I found this X pipe that has cutouts built in. What do you guys think of this setup? The X pipe is 2.5" but I think my stock exhaust is 2", maybe 2.25", anyone know what was stock? Assuming my stock pipes are smaller than 2.5, will the shop be able to install this X pipe? Also, I have the stock manifolds. I'm assuming they'll have to fab up something to connect the X pipe to the manifolds. Also, is it even worth puttin an X pipe on a stock 289? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I agree, it does appear too wide as displayed. If you do proceed and it also appears you're looking to get a little more out of your engine, that you consider upgrading the entire system to 2.5 and be done with that upgrade.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have a 2.5" X pipe on my 68 with 289. Sounds pretty good. I also have a mild cam, shorty headers, and 2.5" JBA system after the X. Here is a video.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The x pipe does look a little wide but its nothing a quality shop couldn't cure. I would also jump for a set of shorty headers. I recently used a set of really cheap ones from Summit and they worked well with not a lot of hammer work if you know what I mean. Also, x pipe is worth it. It definitely improves power and sound.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I've used the Pypes X-Change x-pipe kit before. Very nice kit. You will find that the flanges for the cutouts want to hit the floor boards of the car so it will hang down quite a bit. Clearance to the ground was around 4"-5" in my 69 Mach. I never had any clearance issues when driving it. My 351w was quite loud with 2.5" exhaust and the cutouts open but not deafening. I use to run mine on the street with the dumps open all the time. You will definitely know that they are open. From a performance standpoint they dont do much. If you are looking for loud, this is it.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I found some old pics. Here is what it looks like mocked up and what it looks like in the car. It will be narrower once you cut it down. They give you extra length to fit a bunch of different cars; you just cut to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts