Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw an interesting article comparing non-catalytic convertor H and X pipes. Read the article here.
The X basically out-performs the H by an ever increasing margin as RPM rises - something to think about, especially if you turn a few RPM....

http://64.14.193.106/p32990_image_large.jpg

BTW, in a comparison article WITH convertors, the H won. But, different convertors were used, so I wonder how valid the results were.....was the difference in the convertors or the junction??? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I've always been a X-Pipe believer. Just makes more sense.
A X works with the idea of expelling the exhaust quicker, smoother, yet still balanced, the path of least resistance. The H cross over works with the idea of balancing out the back pressure. Sound right?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think the real story here is, if you ultimate goal is HP and your budget can afford the extra cash for about a 3 percent imporvment at higher RPM then the X pipe is the way to go. Plus they sound really cool. But on the other hand, the H pipe is still a good solution and a big imporvement over no cross over pipe. Sound about right /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree - I get "cold chills" from about 4500 rpm on up; the pitch really is different!

Seems like every place I go anymore, people are doing "asphalt pushups" peeking under the car to see the exhaust setup. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Vendor
5,207 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts