Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I finally can start working on my car. Im going to redo the seats and carpet. Is upholstering the seats easy to do or should I fork up the money for the "MUSTANG INTERIOR RESTORATION GUIDE 1964-70." That has a bunch of pretty pictures and illistrations ?. Also anyone know where I can get a set of Hog Ring Pliers at a decent price. Thanks.

MidnightMustang.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Seats are not that hard to do.
If you cushions are showing soe wear replace them too! Your butt and back will thank you.
You'll also need to pick up a hog ring pliers with some hog rings.
It usually comes together in a kit with the pliers and rings for like $12
Just look at how the old ones come off also.
If you get stuck at any pont someone here would be glad to give you advice.
You also need a snipper to cut the old hog rings off.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The upholstery is fairly easy as long as you remember how it came apart. I bought the hog ring/plier set from NPD and it worked fine.

Get lots of wire coat hangers available so you can replace the wires in the covers. Let the covers set in the sun for a while so they are nice and flexible. It's not that bad.

Frank

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already planned on replacing the cusions, had to, The driver side has a hole in the lower back area and the foam is gone. The passanger side on top is ripped and the foam is messed up also. One other problem I have is the bench seat back may need the foam replaced, but from what I understand they don't make replacement cusions? Is this true and what can I do about it? So far the cheapest hog ring pliers I found are around 18 dollars.

Thanks everyone for the info. I think Ill skip the book, Take lots of pictures and post here if I run into problems.

I also have a link somewhere to some tips from someone who has already done this.

Later MM

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
For the back seat you can just get some foam from a fabric store and cut to length.

·
Registered
884 Posts
When it comes to restoring, the interior is the last thing you do. It is too easy to put a screwdriver through your new seat while you are trying to get the engine stasted. My .02

·
Registered
496 Posts
Another trick I saw on one of the car TV shows was to spray the foam and inside of the covers with some silicone spray to help them slide on easier. I'll be trying this when I do mine.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh...buy twice as many hog rings as you think you'll need..it is a bear to run out of those things when you're almost done.. They are cheap and don't go bad so you can use them on your next project if you have some left over..

G

·
0 Posts
The best suggestion I can give you, is to remove only one seat cover at a time, use the other one to see how it goes back together. Worked for me.

G

·
0 Posts
The best suggestion I can give you, is to remove only one seat cover at a time, use the other one to see how it goes back together. Worked for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts