Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with me on this one. I've looked over the archives but I'm trying to get a clear picture on replacing my alternator in the 69 vert.

If I want to go with a simple replacement alt do I need to find one without an internal regulator to continue to use the fender skirt mounted regulator and the factory wire harness? And would that replacement alt be the "3-wire" model? Also, would I need to replace the regulator with an electronic one to match up with the newer made alt?

Or... can a newer model alt with an internal regulator be used with the current factory regulator & harness? I can find what looks to be a generic 3-wire model with an internal regulator at the auto parts store.

Just want to hook it all up correctly.

Thanks!!
Mike.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you want to continue to use your factory style external regulator and wiring, you need to purchase an alternator designed for your specific vehicle. There are tons of them out there as ford used the same style 1g alternator for quite a long time across quite a few platforms. And you should probably at least buy a new regulator to keep as a spare if you are still running the old stock mechanical one.

To run a 3 wire internally regulated alternator you need to do some rewiring and bypass your external regulator. Look up 3g alternator upgrade either here or a general google search to see how that is done. Many people do this it is an easy way to get a 130a alternator installed into your vehicle while still using readily available over the counter parts.

Jafo

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've always preferred to stay with the original type alternator. They're reliable & inexpensive. For an upgrade, I'd recommend the solid state V/R still mounted on the inner fender panel. (The cover can be painted to retain the original appearance.)

Neil Hoppe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. Definately, much clearer, now. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts