Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In NH you can use year of manufacture license plates. I was at the DMV getting a new license this year and asked about it, it seems like a pretty simple procedure. You essentially get additional paperwork that allows you to use them, although the vehicle is still registered under the issued Antique plates.
I also asked about reproduction YoM plates and was told those are fine ( they do not have to match, but I’ve had this plate for about 15 years and thought I would keep it - my two daughter picked it)

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille
Rectangle Font Gas Number Signage

·
4,694 Posts
I have a YOM plate on my car. Back when I got it, the requirement was it had to be an official unregistered plate in very good condition. I had to mail it to the DMV for them to inspect it and make sure the numbers/letters were usable. I think the Fla requirements are not as stringent these days.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7T03T121875 - 10/5/66 build
90 Posts
TN allows it and treats them like a permanent antique plate. It just has to be of the same plate series that would have been used when the car was new, no reproduction plates. In the case of my '67, TN used the same plate series from '66-71, so I have a '66 series plate with a '67 sticker on it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
493 Posts
It seems that the state of Washington isn't too worried about the condition of the plate, only that it is a proper plate for the year the car was manufactured. These both are stamped '63 but they used these plates for 3 years I think, so they fit the '64.5 mustang and the '66 El Camino. Neither one is in great condition.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive exterior

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
In Georgia it has to be an official plate and you still have to carry the actual plate. I have a letter from the DMV that gives me permission to display it and carry it in the car.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I have one here in AZ, and I could check online before I bought it to make sure the numbers/letters weren't currently registered. I pay an extra $10 a year on my registration for it.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
638 Posts
In Alabama you have to have an original YOM plate or get a dmv rep that doesn’t care it’s a reproduction. Must be painted to the original styling or it will be rejected. Pay a 1 time fee and it takes place of the antique/vintage tag they issue. I have an original paint 66 tag for my mustang and original paint 64 tag for my gmc.
Motor vehicle Rectangle Automotive exterior Wood Font

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have one here in AZ, and I could check online before I bought it to make sure the numbers/letters weren't currently registered. I pay an extra $10 a year on my registration for it.
Where did you get one? I would definitely do that

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Had YOM plates when I lived in South Dakota....
Rainbow Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

And now living in Alabama, I still have them......
Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Cloud

John

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
YOM plates are a PITA in this state. Don't have them on either Mustang but do have them on the truck.
Stupidly expensive to acquire, as they have to be the appropriate year or modded with the official state-approved metal year tag to make them the proper year.
You're looking at a $750 license plate. (commercial as well because it's a truck; all trucks are commercial vehicles here)

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
In Texas you can put YOM plates on any vehicle that is at least 25 years old. There is no charge to do it. I had to take my Fleabay purchased plates to the tax office and let them check the number to be sure nobody else had the same number and to verify that the plates were original. They can be repainted as long as the correct colors are used.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
I have all three of our 1966 Mustangs registered with original 1966 license plates from our home county. Much like @awhtx in Texas, and my transplanted Alabama friend @subpar63 , the process in Sweet Home Alabama is super simple, one and done for life.

Reactions: subpar63

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have YOM plates on both my `66's. My parents' house number was 308, so this plate was on their DD.

Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
896 Posts
In Kentucky...as long as you have your car registered as a Historic vehicle, you can run any YOM plate…no plate inspection or registration…I suppose you could change the YOM plate on a whim…You are supposed to keep the historic plate in the vehicle. …My Falcon also has my home county plate.
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a YOM plate on my car. Back when I got it, the requirement was it had to be an official unregistered plate in very good condition. I had to mail it to the DMV for them to inspect it and make sure the numbers/letters were usable. I think the Fla requirements are not as stringent these days.
I did same thing as 69GT350H. Process was easy. After I mailed the plate, the DMV called me and asked if I would like them to do the registration renewal as well since the expiration was only 6 weeks away...! The only issue I have had are people looking at the car and then saying "oh, is it a 67"!
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
In MD, you can display the year of manufacture plate, but you have to keep your original plates in the car somewhere.
You also have to fill out a form on their website and submit it. I don't remember if it costs anything, as I didn't do it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts