Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1968 fastback + a bunch of foxes
64 Posts
I guess I've gotten off cheap. The most I've paid for any of my plates was $10. Michigan also requires original plates and they must have the appropriate year sticker on them.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I got my FL one approved about 3 years ago. At least at that time, they said they would not approve it if it had been altered or restored in any way; so I sent it in as is (with a few scratches, a little bit of rust, etc.). They approved it and had it back to me in just a week or two. They didn't say anything about getting it restored after it was approved though LOL. I found a guy in Michigan that restored them. He did a great job and a very reasonable price, and got it back to me in about 3 weeks! If anyone needs his info, let me know - I'll be happy to share it.

Car Vehicle registration plate Sky Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
649 Posts
At every local car show there's a guy selling year plates. He wants over $100 for a set of them, so I always decline.
That’s not bad for some sets. I sold a set of 1964 Texas replacement truck tags a year or two ago for $140. I also recently sold a 30s or 40s Georgia tag for $100.

·
Registered
364 Posts
In Michigan for example, reproduction plates are not allowed . I have Agreed Value with State Farm. But they required historic/antique plates. The State of Michigan limits those plates to Parades and Shows only (except in the month of August - then no limits). So no pleasure driving.

"A special provision in law allows a historical vehicle owner to use an authentic Michigan license plate from the same year the historical vehicle was manufactured. The plate can be obtained through a private sale or any other means available.

Reproduction and remanufactured plates as well as authentic dealer and manufacturer plates are not allowed. The plate must display the correct colors for the year of issuance."
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Grille
Rectangle Font Temperature Transparency Electronics accessory

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
Where did you get one? I would definitely do that
I found it online a few years ago, but don't remember where now. The plate only cost me $27 and I was able to run the plate #'s through DMV before I bought it.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Indiana lets you display the original plate, but you must keep a current historical vehicle plate in the glovebox as the vintage plate is tied to it. Doesn't cost much extra. I found a county correct '66 a while back and restored it as well when the car was in paint/body. The plate was totally trashed so it made a nice winter project for me.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Bought my YOM plates in an online auction several years back. The seller mistakenly listed them as truck plates because he believed the first digit to be number 1, when it is actually the letter I. Nobody was bidding on them for that reason and I won them for just under $100. At the time, car plates in this condition were selling for $600+.
I had no trouble registering them with the proper 1966 YOM sticker. This is an unrestored set of two plates and they are both in this condition.
Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
64 Posts
For MI we have to send a picture of the plates in with the registration application to the state capitol BMV. Included with your registration when they send it back is a little slip of paper to give the police informing them that the YoM plates aren't in the computer system and any requests need to be sent in writing to the state BMV (Secretary of State in MI). I'm guessing the vast majority of police know this and aren't going to bother.

·
Radar
7,101 Posts
In North Carolina you can run a YOM plate for nothing, and you don't have to send it in for approval or register it at all. Hell, the written act doesn't even require it be a NC state plate. I have a YOM Carolina plate, but I'm running a Michigan plate right now. I have to keep my regular plate and registration in the car to be viewed by LEO's on demand. I keep a copy of the NC House bill in the glove box just in case...
Font Paper product Paper Document Wood

Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Premium Member
10,195 Posts
My Dad was born in 1947, and is more of a Chevy guy.
I always kept my eye open for a 47 Chevy Fleetline Aero Coupe and I found one in "rolling project" condition while I was on patrol. I traded a running, driving 86 Dodge Omni 4 door hatchback for it ! :ROFLMAO:
I don't currently have any pics of it. I trailered the car 100 miles to my Dad for a "Father's Day" gift and looked at me and the car like a cat that had just dragged a dead mouse into the house. I was proud of it, and he was grateful, but still not sure what to do with it, so he just covered it and I guess it's waiting for me to go "visit" and get started on it.
Anyhow, a 1947 Alabama license plate in any kind of decent shape is not very common, and an affordable one even less so, but I finally gave him an original 47 plate for the car for Father's Day this year. One day, we'll register that gangster-looking hunk of metal and drive it around with a big ol' grin , I hope. Here's a couple of web pics...
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Plant
Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Reactions: xcelr8

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,430 Posts
In MN, YOM plates are dealt with like collector plates, my wife's '66 came with the original plate or so I'm told. It's registered to her car like a collector plate. I have two nice sets for my '66.

The first was rejected as it did not have any letters in the column, those are reserved for state or police vehicles. The second set is ok to use, but amazingly the number was currently in use. I should check back to see if it's open yet.

Although I'm suspicious that the person behind the counter just didn't want to deal with it and told me the number was in use. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My pony has been running YOMs long before I bought it. No problem in Texas to re-register the old plates to me as the new driver. I'm running front + back plates.
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,430 Posts
Where did you get one? I would definitely do that
Online/Ebay is your best bet, however another treasure hunt would be to scour antique stores, swap meets, and flea markets. Being in AZ, you have the option of estate sales too!

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's how most of mine were found. It helps that I had asked many people to look. One of my coworkers found my 1968 plates at a flea market. For $6 I'll take a chance they're good.

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
I have YOM Georgia in back (where I currently live) and YOM Virginia in front on both of mine. I sort of grew up in VA and both cars were purchased in VA.

Reactions: teal95
21 - 40 of 70 Posts