Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
For a few years
Additionally- in Texas you only have to have the rear plate displayed which works very well for me because of the Shelby front end.
Opposite path here, I only had 1 '66 plate when I was supposed to present 2 for inspection at the tax office, I had highlighted on a paper about only needing to display 1 on the rear. She clerk went with it and registered it. WooHoo. I needed a new valance anyway so Shelby....

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
In Texas you can put YOM plates on any vehicle that is at least 25 years old. There is no charge to do it. I had to take my Fleabay purchased plates to the tax office and let them check the number to be sure nobody else had the same number and to verify that the plates were original. They can be repainted as long as the correct colors are used.
Wouldn't that will basically only be personalized plates after they went to the yearly stickers, late 70s I think.. For many years after the stickers you would still get a new personalized plate stamped every year. Other than the Sesquicentennial I don't know another plate that tells you what year they are from.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
YOM plates are a PITA in this state. Don't have them on either Mustang but do have them on the truck.
Stupidly expensive to acquire, as they have to be the appropriate year or modded with the official state-approved metal year tag to make them the proper year.
You're looking at a $750 license plate. (commercial as well because it's a truck; all trucks are commercial vehicles here)

View attachment 859814
I guess I’m lucky that my car still wears its original CA plates.

Since moving out of state it has been a PITA to keep it registered in CA (registration is up to date, but if you zoom in the tag year is a little behind). I’ll figure something out….

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I guess I’m lucky that my car still wears its original CA plates.

Since moving out of state it has been a PITA to keep it registered in CA (registration is up to date, but if you zoom in the tag year is a little behind). I’ll figure something out….

Sent from the interwebs... where else?
I didn't know CA was using the yearly stickers with the black plates. How do they determine plate YOM?

·
Registered
1968 Ford Mustang 289 4brl Auto Seafoam Green Coupe
21 Posts
Where did you get one? I would definitely do that
Just find a old classic plate for you YOM like on EBAY or some place and there is a form on MVD's web page and just take the plate and the form and go down to MVD and pay your fees and your good to go I have a 68 and run a 66 plate on mine since AZ used 66 plates for years 66-68

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
In NH you can use year of manufacture license plates. I was at the DMV getting a new license this year and asked about it, it seems like a pretty simple procedure. You essentially get additional paperwork that allows you to use them, although the vehicle is still registered under the issued Antique plates.
I also asked about reproduction YoM plates and was told those are fine ( they do not have to match, but I’ve had this plate for about 15 years and thought I would keep it - my two daughter picked it)

View attachment 859785 View attachment 859786
In CA the DMV requires you to have both YOM series plates that would have for your car originally and the year sticker as well. No replica plates allowed, most of which are alumimun and even if very good stamping, will not pass their magnet test. A descent set of orginal YOM plates here go for 300 to 400 dollars and the year tag for 20 to 30 bucks.

Last time round I bought a junk ser of YOM plates for 150, both really beat up, got them registered to the car and then had one replica plate made for 100 bucks and put it on the back. Shelby R apron up front so not front plate.

DMV here a real pain in the bum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In Georgia it has to be an official plate and you still have to carry the actual plate. I have a letter from the DMV that gives me permission to display it and carry it in the car.
As Dave said I carry another GA plate, seems silly as the registered plate is '65 plate. Only part mustang, but you get the point.

Found it on eBay, did the repairs, and took it into the county "tag" office.

I race motorcycles using 25 number, so this really fits the bill.

Frank S.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
CALPLATES, in Maryland, makes beautiful embossed plates in aluminum.
But you'll need a number that is quite dead if you're going to buy what will pass as original plates and be registerable.
Calif requires two steel plates. That was a bloke in Asia, Tigerpl8s, I think it was. The steel and embossing were good, but I had to strip the paint with jasco, give it several coats of krylon rustproof in gloss black. There's a company in So. Cal that makes different sizes, colors, and styles of decals made to transfer to repainted plates.
I had to get the steel plates approved on a visit to the DMV. They heard that the plates were steel, though I didn't see if they did a magnet test.
there are websites that will tell you if a plate number is dead. I used a plate number that I remembered as a child, which had been on a '65 Mustang 289. That plate is now on mine.
I repainted plate frames from a West LA dealership that is long gone and supplied many of the Fords to the Westside back in the '60 and 70s, including my 1972 Pinto Wagon (which was still operational the last time I saw in 4 o4 5 years ago).
My engine and tran are being rebuilt (quite another story), but when I drive, I have the aluminum plate in the front with the slightly more pitted chrome frame.
For a "65 in Cal, at the extremes of the issuance year, the letter series began (safely) with L and the last plate might have started with an O or a P. That info's online from several sources.
The year of the plate, as far as the DMV is concerned, if it's reasonably close to start with, is determined by the year on the reg sticker. Those are all over ebay, but do your research about color and placement. Once they're on, the paint's coming off if you have to change upper-corner wells.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is from Chapter 21 of the 2022 Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. A little past halfway down it addresses the use of previously owned (YOM) plates.

Classic Motor Vehicles and Travel Trailer; Custom Vehicles; Street Rods
(d) Notwithstanding Chapter 547, a custom vehicle or street rod eligible to receive license plates under this section is not required to be equipped with a specific piece of equipment unless the specific piece of equipment was required by statute as a condition of sale during the year listed as the model year on the certificate of title.
(e) On initial registration of a custom vehicle or street rod, the owner must provide proof, acceptable to the department, that the custom vehicle or street rod passed a safety inspection that has been approved by the department. The department shall create a safety inspection process for inspecting custom vehicles and street rods.
(f) In this section:
(1) “Custom vehicle” means a vehicle:
(A) that is:
(i) at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; or
(ii) manufacturedtoresembleavehiclethatisatleast25yearsoldand of a model year after 1948; and
(B) that:
(i) has been altered from the manufacturer's original design; or
(ii) hasabodyconstructedfrommaterialsnotoriginaltothevehicle.
(2) “Street rod” means a vehicle: (A) that was manufactured:
(i) before 1949; or
(ii) after1948toresembleavehiclemanufacturedbefore1949;and (B) that:
(i) has been altered from the manufacturer's original design; or
(ii) hasabodyconstructedfrommaterialsnotoriginaltothevehicle.
Classic Application
The Application for Classic License Plates (Form VTR-850), must be submitted directly to the county tax assessor-collector along with annual registration and other applicable fees. Customers who own passenger vehicles, motorcycles, travel trailers or trucks that are 25 or more years old may apply. Vehicles displaying classic registration may be operated without limited use restrictions.
Evidence of ownership must support the application unless title has already issued in the name of the applicant.
• If approved, the county will order the Classic License Plate and issue a Texas Temporary Insignia for specialty plates, and registration sticker. Any documentation previously submitted with the application will be returned to the applicant. The owner must submit proof of insurance and pay the required fees.
• If the title is not in the applicant’s name, the owner must submit an application for title before issuance of the Classic License Plates and registration sticker.
Motor Vehicle Registration Manual 21-7 TxDMV July 2022

Classic Motor Vehicles and Travel Trailer; Custom Vehicles; Street Rods
Use of Previously Issued Plates
An applicant for classic vehicle registration has the option of displaying a set of previously issued Texas license plates on the vehicle in lieu of department issued Classic plates. The previously issued plates must be the same year as the year model of the vehicle, be in good readable condition, and have that year’s correct color scheme. As of September 1, 2019, the alpha or numeric characters must be embossed.
• The county tax assessor-collector may approve passenger plates for use on a passenger vehicle or a truck.
• Truck plates may be approved for use on either a truck or a passenger vehicle.
• Classic Travel Trailers must have travel trailer plates.
• For the years 1945 and 1946, single license plates, not sets, were issued.
• For the years 1918-1922, 1943 and 1944, the department issued registration discs or
metal tabs instead of license plates. Use of these license plates are valid only if approved. Upon approval, the county issues the applicant a registration sticker to place onto a specially designed slotted metal tab. The applicant attaches the tab to the upper right-hand corner of the rear license plate for display.
Previously issued plates will not be approved if:
• the license plate's original use was restricted by statute to another vehicle type,
• the license plate is a qualifying plate type that originally required the owner to meet
one or more eligibility requirements, or
• the alphanumeric pattern of the personalized or general issue plate is currently in use
on another Texas vehicle.
• the alphanumeric pattern of the personalized or general issue plate is not embossed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also asked about reproduction YoM plates and was told those are fine ( they do not have to match, but I’ve had this plate for about 15 years and thought I would keep it - my two daughter picked it)
Was it your clerks office you asked or the DMV? When i read the statute it sounds like we need to use original issued plates in NH. There are threads around in different forums where NH guys are getting pulled over by cops not knowing the details of year of issue plates never mind adding a reproduction to the mix.

"Registration plates issued in the same year that the antique motor vehicle was manufactured may be affixed to both the front and rear of the antique motor vehicle"

·
Registered
4 Posts
In all states or just CA?
Sorry, I can't remember. If it was, there must be plenty online that will say whether it's a currently registered number. The one I found gave me four or five free checks. They didn't give any confidential DMV info, just that the ones I ran were currently unregistered. There are a number of plate sellers on ebay who will state that the plate was "clear" at the time of their last enquiry to the dmv. Best of luck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just find a old classic plate for you YOM like on EBAY or some place and there is a form on MVD's web page and just take the plate and the form and go down to MVD and pay your fees and your good to go I have a 68 and run a 66 plate on mine since AZ used 66 plates for years 66-68
I've been looking for a 67 and could only find one that is a ham radio plate. $125.
Found a few 66 plates. The style was the same for 66-68 but the year still reflects that. I will keep my head up for one. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1968 Ford Mustang 289 4brl Auto Seafoam Green Coupe
21 Posts
I've been looking for a 67 and could only find one that is a ham radio plate. $125.
Found a few 66 plates. The style was the same for 66-68 but the year still reflects that. I will keep my head up for one. Thanks for the info.
There are a few on EBAY now don't worry about the tag they have on it or if it has a tag and they don't have to be mint just as long as they are in good readable condition and you only need 1 since Arizona only requires 1 plate on the rear. You want the Black and white 66 AZ plate for your 67 Mustang.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,444 Posts
I have a Yom for my 68, MO only had one plate that year so only need one. Just gotta be in good shape and clear number.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In Kentucky...as long as you have your car registered as a Historic vehicle, you can run any YOM plate…no plate inspection or registration…I suppose you could change the YOM plate on a whim…You are supposed to keep the historic plate in the vehicle. …My Falcon also has my home county plate.
. View attachment 859856

View attachment 859855
I live in KY and have a repo California Bullitt plate on my 67 Fastback. It is registered as an historic vehicle and I carry the historic plate and registration in case I ever get pulled over.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts